Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (November 2005)Back to main ARSCLIST pageJoin or leave ARSCLISTReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional fontLog in
Date:         Wed, 30 Nov 2005 13:16:52 -0800
Sender:       Association for Recorded Sound Discussion List
From:         Trey Bunn <[log in to unmask]>
Subject:      Re: MP3 bit rates and usage factors for Web pages

For the website we've been building here at USC, I opted to use MP3s at the rate of 192 Kbps, 44.1 kHz. This may be a bit of overkill for some oral history recordings, but ours were a mix of those and field recorded music. Also, the sound files on the website are just clips of the tapes that were digitized. They range anywhere from 15 seconds to two or three minutes, so the file sizes aren't that large. As far as restrictions go, we're just going to let them be downloadable MP3s. If someone wants to save 60 seconds of an old lady from South Carolina describing how she learned quilting from her grandmother and put it on their iPod, I doubt the RIAA is going to hunt us down and kill us. I wish the site was up so I could post a link, but it's not set to launch until early next year. ------------- Trey Bunn Folklife Resource Center McKissick Museum University of South Carolina __________________________________ Yahoo! Mail - PC Magazine Editors' Choice 2005 http://mail.yahoo.com