Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (November 2005)Back to main ARSCLIST pageJoin or leave ARSCLISTReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional fontLog in
Date:         Tue, 8 Nov 2005 08:39:45 -0800
Sender:       Association for Recorded Sound Discussion List
From:         Eric Jacobs <[log in to unmask]>
Subject:      Re: need audio cassette deck suggestions

David, I would second Richard's recommendation for Nakamichi. The Nakamichi's have very long head life as well. I would add the Nakamichi CR-7A to the list of prospective cassette decks, especially if you are doing mono work. The CR-7A provides manual azimuth adjust (as opposed to the Dragon's automatic). For the most part, the Dragon is great since you don't need to think about azimuth. However, the Dragon needs at least a 3kHz signal before it can track azimuth. So in some rare cases (usually spoken word), the CR-7A allows you to adjust the azimuth where the Dragon might not. But again, this is usually a non-issue. Since your collection is large, the more automation you have the better. So the Dragon's automatic azimuth adjustment can give you maximum quality without much fuss, especially if you are dealing primarily with musical content. I like to have maximum control over the transfer process, so prefer the CR-7A for this reason alone. Setting the azimuth on the CR-7A is very easy - just watch your phase plot and rotate the azimuth adjustment knob to minimize phase error. Takes a few seconds, that's all. Eric Jacobs The Audio Archive [log in to unmask] tel: 408.221.2128 fax: 408.549.9867 -----Original Message----- From: Association for Recorded Sound Discussion List [mailto:[log in to unmask]]On Behalf Of Richard L. Hess Sent: Tuesday, November 08, 2005 7:00 AM To: [log in to unmask] Subject: Re: [ARSCLIST] need audio cassette deck suggestions Hello, David, The quality of the heads in Nakamichis in general and the auto-play azimuth feature of the Dragon in particular (and the manual play azimuth of the CR-7 and perhaps a few others) allows for optimizing playback to get the highest quality possible from the transfers. While I was originally focusing on reel-tape restoration, a good friend of mine who used to work in the standard tape lab (and evaluated tapes and recorders) at Ampex, told me if I was thinking of expanding into cassettes there was no substitute, overall, for the Dragon. He thought that the Studers might have better transports and the Tandbergs might have better electronics (I hope I got that correct), but the heads and the azimuth-adjust feature made the Nakamichis really the only choice for quality work. The current setup of my tape restoration suite features two Dragons, and they see a lot of use.TAP Electronics in southern California can still maintain them, I believe. They have maintained several of mine. The Tascam 122B is a workhorse, but it's difficult to adjust its azimuth and recently (could have been a defective machine) the work I heard done on one (at the ARSC conference) wasn't up to par. One thing to consider if you've got a massive project and quality is of less of a concern, would be to consider a Tascam 234 and transfer all four tracks of each cassette at double speed. That would require re-equalization and re-speeding and reversing two of the four tracks in the computer, but it would cut the time to 1/4 while maintaining let's say 60% of the quality you would get from the Dragon -- perhaps a bit more. Cheers, Richard Cheers, Richard Richard L. Hess [log in to unmask] Aurora, Ontario, Canada http://www.richardhess.com/ Detailed contact information: http://www.richardhess.com/tape/contact.htm