Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (November 2005)Back to main ARSCLIST pageJoin or leave ARSCLISTReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional fontLog in
Date:         Thu, 24 Nov 2005 10:47:08 -0800
Sender:       Association for Recorded Sound Discussion List
From:         Rod Stephens <[log in to unmask]>
Subject:      Re: Edward R. Murrow "Hear It Now", etc.

In working with over 540 Family Theater broadcasts which were, of course, "live", I became aware that the main announcer, Tony La Frano, would vary his speed in announcing the closing credits. It makes sense to me that he was being given cues from the control booth whether the show was long or short and making up the time by his speed of delivery. Amazingly, most shows were within seconds of being on time. The clarity of his delivery was most always excellent in the standards of the old school of radio, which for me was a blessing, since I've had to identify the names of the casts from his remarks for my database. Rod Stephens Family Theater Productions [log in to unmask] wrote: >Mention was made regarding the homogenizing of speech due, possibly, to TV. >As one with some hearing loss, I am surprised, when listening to old radio >shows, at apparently the correct playback speed, hearing how FAST the announcers >spoke in the '30s and later. Was this for a reason? Or have my ears become >accustomed to the more laid-back style of today's announcers? >Don Chichester > > >