Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (November 2005)Back to main ARSCLIST pageJoin or leave ARSCLISTReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional fontLog in
Date:         Thu, 24 Nov 2005 11:15:18 -0500
Sender:       Association for Recorded Sound Discussion List
From:         Tom Fine <[log in to unmask]>
Subject:      Re: Edward R. Murrow "Hear It Now", etc.

I think fast with proper diction for optimal AM listening quality was the order of the day. Good radio announcers -- and good voice-over guys even to this day -- can tailor their reading to fit whatever time envelope their given. The age of computer audio has made it all easier because if your reader goes, say 1:10 for a 58-second spot, the software can squeeze it faster than he can re-record it. Don, make sure your OTR source material has not been digi-time-compressed. A lot of the stuff out their in Internetland has been screwed around to make it fit file sizes or time constraints. Also, some of the stuff dating back to when you could buy OTR shows on LP was shortened with tape edits to fit in what were already the outer limits of LP sides. But none of that should be very noticeable. But, that said, I dubbed a book on tape and did only a 12-15% time compression on it to make 90 minute tapes fit on 80-minute CD's and it's very noticeable. Still very understandable, but definitely rushed sounding. People all have a natural speaking cadence and mussing with it stands right out. ----- Original Message ----- From: <[log in to unmask]> To: <[log in to unmask]> Sent: Thursday, November 24, 2005 10:19 AM Subject: Re: [ARSCLIST] Edward R. Murrow "Hear It Now", etc. > Mention was made regarding the homogenizing of speech due, possibly, to TV. > As one with some hearing loss, I am surprised, when listening to old radio > shows, at apparently the correct playback speed, hearing how FAST the announcers > spoke in the '30s and later. Was this for a reason? Or have my ears become > accustomed to the more laid-back style of today's announcers? > Don Chichester