Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (November 2005)Back to main ARSCLIST pageJoin or leave ARSCLISTReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional fontLog in
Date:         Wed, 23 Nov 2005 17:48:04 -0800
Sender:       Association for Recorded Sound Discussion List
From:         Rod Stephens <[log in to unmask]>
Subject:      Re: Incredible savings on DC6 for this week only
Comments: To: [log in to unmask]

Hi Eric, Eric Jacobs wrote: >The digi-EQ in DC6 is not that accurate in terms of RIAA accuracy. The >makers of DC6 will insist that 0.5 dB error is not a big deal - and for >78s that's probably true. But for RIAA LP/microgroove and even NAB >acetates, that 0.5 dB does make a very audible difference to me. > > With the accuracy of digital, isn't it possible to tweak the curve to become accurate? You'd think this would be a given what with the many more increments possible with 32 bit, 44100 (my CoolEdit Pro) or even, 32/96K. >The challenge for any digital EQ is that the number of digital filters >required to reproduce the EQ accurately will also potentially add >digital artifacts. How to balance accuracy versus digital artifacts? > > What digital artifacts are to be heard? So far, the only artifacts I've been aware of are due to over use of specialized FFT, hiss and surface noise reduction filters. If anything, I've been able to minimize distortion in some recordings by dropping selected frequencies (in a choral recording, it was at 2.8K, but very selectively and carefully done). The great thing is "what you hear is what you get", and multiple "undo's" allow unlimited experimenting. Thank God for digital!! >I use the digi-EQ in a Cube-Tec Audiocube - but that's a 64-bit native >system, which is how they address the accuracy versus artifact problem. >The digi-EQ in the Cube-Tec also builds it's EQ curves using the exact >LC filter equations for bass turnover and treble roll-off - no need to >tweak a multiband equalizer to approximate the EQ curve. > > My CoolEdit Pro has 30 band capability, so there's a lot of tweaking possible, I would think. Anyway, what would be the audible results in tweaking, in your experience? Rod Stephens Family Theater Productions