Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (November 2005)Back to main ARSCLIST pageJoin or leave ARSCLISTReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional fontLog in
Date:         Wed, 23 Nov 2005 14:16:55 -0500
Sender:       Association for Recorded Sound Discussion List
From:         Tom Fine <[log in to unmask]>
Subject:      Edward R. Murrow "Hear It Now"

Hi All: Is there a place, either online or physical, where one can obtain decent-quality copies of these shows? I have excellent transcription transfers of 4 shows from 1950 and have always enjoyed them greatly. I believe the show ran for a couple or few years, starting in late 1949 or the beginning of 1950. These are NOT the series of "I Can Hear It Now" productions for LP. This was a weekly radio news magazine. I'm thinking someone, somewhere has a collection of these shows. What perked up my ears in particular is that some of the debate that took place in early 1950 after the Chinese entered Korea and things went badly has such strong echoes today. Also, it's fascinating to hear the actual voices of both historic figures and ordinary people of those days. To my ears, the regional accents of America were more pronounced back then, and the average person had a more refined and clearer way of speaking. If someone has a pile of transcriptions of these shows lying around somewhere, let's talk about getting them digitized. I can and will help. Also, Happy Thanksgiving to everyone. -- Tom Fine