Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (November 2005)Back to main ARSCLIST pageJoin or leave ARSCLISTReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional fontLog in
Date:         Tue, 22 Nov 2005 10:06:03 -0500
Sender:       Association for Recorded Sound Discussion List
From:         "Richard L. Hess" <[log in to unmask]>
Subject:      Re: 78rpm EQ and postprocessing

At 08:48 AM 11/22/2005, Charles Lawson wrote: >The fellows at DiamondCut are solid engineers/programmers. The product is an >outstanding value and occasionally leaves much higher-priced competitors in >the dust. It is rarely my *only* tool on a particular project, though. You cannot judge any piece of NR software by sound samples. You're judging the operator much more than the software. I've heard excellent examples from Cedar and stuff (of mine, GRRRR) with life sucked out of it by Cedar. It's not Cedar's fault. Settings that might suck the life out of my boy choir recordings from the 1970s (it was room and organ noise, not tape hiss!) would be fully appropriate for certain other applications. DC is usually not my first tool nor my only tool, but it is a tool that has capabilities that are very different from the other main tool that I use, Algorithmix NoiseFree Pro. They are complementary. If I want to remove broadband background noise, NFP is my first choice. However, once I get into very nasty noises like hums with harmonics, DC6 does a MUCH better job than any general-purpose tool. The harmonic filter is fantastic (but you need to run both odd and even ones in the multifilter to be effective most of the time). DC6 is a cross between an "audio" tool and a "forensics" tool. It is good at both. You have to be careful turning up the controls past 11 'cause that's where you switch from an audio tool to a forensics tool -- and these knobs go way past 11, too. You can shoot yourself in the foot, or you just might make intelligible that horridly recorded piece of evidence that is critical to a case. There was an album that took 20 years to make its way into a commercial CD. Several people cleaned up the album. One of them was very proud what he paid for, and sent me a copy. OY! All the life had been sucked out of it and it was almost synthesizer-voiced compared to the one I had done for my collection. A light touch is critical, and knowing how much noise to leave is critical. I have a client who wants me to take out more than I would normally, but I still do it where I think it sounds good and he's happy. He keeps wanting me to do more projects for him. Cheers, Richard Richard L. Hess [log in to unmask] Aurora, Ontario, Canada http://www.richardhess.com/ Detailed contact information: http://www.richardhess.com/tape/contact.htm