Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (November 2005)Back to main ARSCLIST pageJoin or leave ARSCLISTReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional fontLog in
Date:         Tue, 22 Nov 2005 01:00:25 -0600
Sender:       Association for Recorded Sound Discussion List
From:         Scott Phillips <[log in to unmask]>
Subject:      Re: 78rpm EQ and postprocessing

I just listened to these for the first time. How horrible ! Better to have left the noise there, or at least a heck of a lot more of it..... -----Original Message----- From: Association for Recorded Sound Discussion List [mailto:[log in to unmask]] On Behalf Of Charles Lawson Sent: Monday, November 21, 2005 9:22 PM To: [log in to unmask] Subject: Re: [ARSCLIST] 78rpm EQ and postprocessing Tom Fine wrote: > >I'm sure Diamond Cut can be made to work very well, but their own >"before > >and after" page shows some really disasterous overuse of the software: > >http://www.diamondcut.com/BeforeAfter/usersamps.htm The user samples there are not the best representation of what the software can do. There are times when DC6 results surpass those from Cedar, Waves, Algorithmix and Sony. (I've tried 'em all.) The different packages yield different results on different materials...and user settings are *CRUCIAL.* I have been able to use DC6 to get spectacular results where the other packages have failed and vice versa. Ya gotta try 'em all to find out which works best in a particular circumstance. I almost never use the same settings twice with any of these packages. The last successful arrangement may prove to be only the starting point for the next project. Patience, patience, patience.... Chas. -- Charles Lawson <[log in to unmask]> Recording/Production/Broadcast Engineer WETA Radio <http://www.weta.org/fm/> Washington, DC