Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (November 2005)Back to main ARSCLIST pageJoin or leave ARSCLISTReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional fontLog in
Date:         Fri, 18 Nov 2005 15:28:59 -0800
Sender:       Association for Recorded Sound Discussion List
From:         Eric Jacobs <[log in to unmask]>
Subject:      Re: VPI cleaning fluid -- any good homebrew recipes?

Don't forget the brushes. The KM block brush is okay for gross cleaning, but doesn't really loosen up deposits that are deeper in the grooves. Both chemical and mechanical action are required to get a record as clean as possible. The Disc Doctor brushes work well, and I like their ergonomics, durability, and replaceable pads. For really big projects where I need a relatively good cleaner which is low cost, I'll blend up a Tergitol formulation. But beware, with Tergitol you really need to make sure you've mixed it well so that you have a homogeneous solution, otherwise you may end up leaving traces of Tergitol behind on your record. Tergitol is potent, so this is a clear case where more (higher concentrations) is NOT better. If speed is important, I can highly recommend the Disc Doctor cleaning solution. In fact, I've been known to follow-up a cleaning with Tergitol (on a really dirty record) with a final cleaning with Disc Doctor. But this requires multiple steps, and with a KM this is time consuming. The KMs are slow - but they also clean better than anything I've tested. Because they are slow, when you look at cost of solution versus cost of time, time becomes the over-riding factor. If you want a single solution, I wouldn't hesitate to use Disc Doctor. Cleaning technique and process come into play as well. Rinsing is essential, and prior to rinsing it helps to agitate the rinse solution in the grooves with a fine brush. A few drops of surfactant (cleaning solution) in the rinse water (we're talking a few mls per liter) breaks the surface tension of the rinse water and helps it go down into the grooves to remove any residue. Depending on the type of work I'm doing (material type, condition), I'll vary the concentration of the cleaning solution. It's a balance between chemical and mechanical action - too much of one or another can be harmful. On the subject of water, I like using distilled / deionized water. Because the water is deionized, it has this scavenging property where it attracts and retains ionized contaminants. I have used a Laser Turntable, which is especially sensitive to groove contamination, and have noticed that the deionized water makes a difference. This is less noticeable on records played back with a stylus, but still noticeable. It's simply a question of how clean you want that record. You can spend more time cleaning a record really well, or you can spend more time trying to remove the contamination noise digitally in the computer. From my experience, an ounce of prevention (cleaning) is worth a pound of cure (digital restoration) - don't skimp on the cleaning. Eric Jacobs The Audio Archive tel: 408.221.2128 fax: 650.941.8796 mailto:[log in to unmask] -----Original Message----- From: Association for Recorded Sound Discussion List [mailto:[log in to unmask]]On Behalf Of H. Duane Goldman Sent: Friday, November 18, 2005 7:32 AM To: [log in to unmask] Subject: Re: [ARSCLIST] VPI cleaning fluid -- any good homebrew recipes? Hi David, Regardless of the recommendation from KM, the fluid is far from thorough in its cleaning action. Regards, Duane goldman At 11:16 AM 11/9/2005 -0500, you wrote: >Kodak Photo-Flo 200 mixed with steam dried distilled water (1:200) is >perfect for all discs, shellac or vinyl or lacquers. I've been using it >for 6 years and it's the recommended formula for use with the Monks. > >dl in gray, drippy Toronto > >"Bewley, Nigel" wrote: > > > I'd like to hear of any home brews too. We have a Keith Monks using > > 50:50 distilled water/industrial methylated spirit for use on vinyl (NOT > > shellac because shellac will dissolve in alcohol!!) and distilled water > > with a few drops of Kodak Photo Flow as a wetting agent/detergent for > > 'everything else' (including vinyl). We're not averse to washing discs > > in the sink either with a mild liquid detergent, soft brush and wet > > fingers, using tap water that has, apparently, been through the cycle of > > reservoir, glass, kidneys, sewage farm and reservoir on many occasions. > > The key is to give the disc a final rinse in distilled water to prevent > > lime scale depositing. > > > > Greetings from a mild and sunny London. > > > > Nigel Bewley > > British Library Sound Archive ------ h. duane goldman, ph.d. | P.O. Box 37066 St. Louis, MO 63141 lagniappe chem. ltd. | (314) 205 1388 voice/fax "for the sound you thought you bought" | http://discdoc.com