Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (November 2005)Back to main ARSCLIST pageJoin or leave ARSCLISTReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional fontLog in
Date:         Thu, 17 Nov 2005 19:01:52 -0700
Sender:       Association for Recorded Sound Discussion List
From:         Angie Dickinson Mickle <[log in to unmask]>
Subject:      Re: CD-ROM marking pens

Tom, I also have used Sharpies without a noticeable problem for a number of years. If I come across a problem, I'll retract, but right now, I continue to use Sharpies. Angie Dickinson Mickle Arvada, Colorado www.avocadoproductions.com Tom Fine wrote: > I think this "can" area is pretty wide. I've used a Sharpie on everything > from generic shiny-foil Staples 100-for-free-after-rebate specials to $1 per > disc gold CDR's and never had a problem. Black, blue, green, purple and red > Sharpies used, sometimes in combination. I don't press hard or make > double-marks, but I don't see how that would make a difference if this > allegedly harmful solvent is in the ink anyway, large mark or small. I > really think this is mostly a myth that probably sprang up because one or > two ultra-cheapo types had non-existent or inadequate coating over the foil > that's over the dye and thus the process of pressing on the foil tore it and > caused ink to mingle with date-holding dye. You shouldn't even use such > discs for original creations or archiving (for copies for the car, for > instance, it can be argued that whatever's cheapest is OK); that's where the > $1/disc gold types earn their price. In my experience, a much more likely > death-scenario with cheapo CDR's is that the foil is so thin and so brittle > that taking the disc out of a cheapo jewel box that grips the center too > hard causes the foil to split and/or peel. That has happened to a few > 100-for-free-after-rebate discs, which is why I don't buy them anymore. > Also, as a matter of good practices, one should never make just one copy of > a CDR one values or archives. Media is cheap, losing content is not. > > I've actually been astounded by how consistently reliable CD media has been > even as speeds have increased and prices have dropped. I don't think I've > ended up with even 25 coasters in thousands of discs burned -- and that's > including our duping operation at work where I buy the dirt-cheapest media I > can find. Even under the worst torture, living in my un-garaged truck, CDR's > tend to last a year or more; usually it's their second summer of heat and > humidity that kills them. I think most alleged problems with media are > actually malfunctions of cheapo burners or misbehaving computers. I'm a big > advocate of Plextor drives. Out of those maybe 25 coasters, fewer than half > happened since I switched to Plextor drives for most of my burning, which > was only a couple of years after I started. Plextors seem able to do most > blank media just fine but do seem prone to reject what you'd call the bottom > of the barrell stuff like Staples own-branded blanks. They don't do the > generic/pennies-per-disc types we feed the duper. The duper machine has LG > burners and it's never produced a coaster unless the blank was scratched in > transit and I didn't catch it and toss it before loading it. > > By the way, while we're talking CDR's, I've recently come to the conclusion > that it's probably smart to make copies of all one's > enjoyed/valued/treasured/loved music CD's and treat the originals with great > care because so much is being taken out of print. I've been shocked in > recent years at how many jazz reissues from the 1990's are now completely > out of print. Also note that at least one company clearly states on its > packaging how long a title will be in print -- generally 3-5 years after > release. So my point is that one should treat their CD collection as > becoming irreplaceable like their LP collection. > > -- Tom Fine > > ----- Original Message ----- > From: "Jerome Hartke" <[log in to unmask]> > To: <[log in to unmask]> > Sent: Thursday, November 17, 2005 7:13 PM > Subject: Re: [ARSCLIST] CD-ROM marking pens > > > >>Solvent-based inks, such as used in the Sharpie, can penetrate the >>protective layer on the label surface of CD discs. The formulation of this >>layer varies; some being more resistant to solvents than others. I am glad >>that you have been lucky, but do not recommend use of such pens on discs >>that are not easily replaceable. >> >>Jerry >>Media Sciences, Inc. >> >> >>>-----Original Message----- >>>From: Association for Recorded Sound Discussion List >>>[mailto:[log in to unmask]] On Behalf Of Tom Fine >>>Sent: Thursday, November 17, 2005 5:46 PM >>>To: [log in to unmask] >>>Subject: Re: [ARSCLIST] CD-ROM marking pens >>> >>>TDK ones have lasted a long time here. Just to throw this out there, > > I've > >>>never had a problem with a disc labelled with a Sharpie. Some discs are >>>now >>>7+ years old and no problems. Some get played often. Methinks there's > > some > >>>mythology around Sharpies and CD's, but there are perfectly good "for > > CD's > >>>specifically" alternatives. >>> >>>-- Tom Fine >>> >>>----- Original Message ----- >>>From: "Mike Richter" <[log in to unmask]> >>>To: <[log in to unmask]> >>>Sent: Thursday, November 17, 2005 2:49 PM >>>Subject: Re: [ARSCLIST] CD-ROM marking pens >>> >>> >>> >>>>Colin Schlachta wrote: >>>> >>>>>Hello, >>>>> >>>>>I was wondering if anyone knows of a non-smudging, non-toxic water >>> >>>based >>> >>>>>pen that performs like a permanent marker on CD-ROMs. My supplier > > no > >>>>>longer carries them and I'm now looking for another source. >>>> >>>>TDK sells such pens both all-black and in colors. For the latter, the >>>>trademark is "CD Mark". Computer Geeks has sold Hi-Val instruments >>>>called CD Marking Pens which carry all the right assurances; I've > > bought > >>>>a couple of pair but have not used them yet. >>>> >>>>A local art-supply shop (brick and mortar - remember those?) offered a >>>>variety of candidates in assorted colors and widths. For many > > purposes, > >>>>I've found the Farber-Castell PITT artist pen most useful in black, >>>>though it claims to use "Indian" ink <G>. The brush tip works well but >>>>finer ones are available. >>>> >>>>Mike >>>>-- >>>>[log in to unmask] >>>>http://www.mrichter.com/ > > > > >