Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (November 2005)Back to main ARSCLIST pageJoin or leave ARSCLISTReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional fontLog in
Date:         Wed, 16 Nov 2005 18:14:15 -0800
Sender:       Association for Recorded Sound Discussion List
From:         David Seubert <[log in to unmask]>
Subject:      Re: 5,000 cylinder recordings now online
Comments: To: [log in to unmask]

Thanks, Jon. I should mention that thanks should also go to Noah Pollaczek (some of you may have met him at ARSC in Austin) who transferred the cylinders and our catalogers Su-Ching Lin and Levi Hanes as well as our systems staff. I'm pretty sure Noah's listened to more cylinders than any living person and we'll both be at ARSC in Seattle. It depends on what your definition of Jazz is, but there is some "hot" music in the collection. My favorites are Harry Raderman's Jazz Orchestra and Lopez and Hamilton's Kings of Harmony Orchestra. Our collection is not strong in the 4000 and 5000 Blue Amberols and we didn't transfer a lot of the cylinders that were dubbed from disc like the 3000 series. David Jon Noring wrote: >Congratulations to David Seubert and UCSB for getting these >recordings online! > >Any jazz recordings among them? <smile/> > >Jon Noring > > >***** > >To: <[log in to unmask]> >Sent: Wednesday, November 16, 2005 2:43 PM >Subject: [ARSCLIST] 5,000 cylinder recordings now online > >The Special Collections Dept. at the University of California, Santa >Barbara is making a new online digital collection available featuring >the library's collection of cylinder recordings from the mid 1890s to >the mid 1920s. The site is available at > http://cylinders.library.ucsb.edu/. > >During a two-year project funded in part by the Institute of Museum and >Library Services (IMLS) library staff have cataloged and digitized over >5,000 of the cylinder recordings in the library's collection. The >searchable site features downloadable audio files as well as streaming >versions of the recordings. Streaming and downloadable mp3 files have >been de-noised with CEDAR and are licensed for under a Creative Commons >license while a raw wave file is also available for the more adventurous >and is freely distributable. The site also has a growing collection of >"streaming radio" programs on various topics and a "featured cylinder" >section, showcasing some of the most interesting items in the collection. > >The collection includes nearly all types of recordings made around the >turn of the 20th century including popular song, vaudeville, minstrelsy, >comedic monologues, classical and operatic, solo instrumental >recordings, bands, foreign and ethnic recordings, and speeches. More >cylinders will continue to be added to the collection as they are >acquired, cataloged and digitized. > >Please enjoy, pass the word along, and let me know if you have any >comments or suggestions. > >David > > >