Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (November 2005)Back to main ARSCLIST pageJoin or leave ARSCLISTReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional fontLog in
Date:         Wed, 16 Nov 2005 12:34:57 -0500
Sender:       Association for Recorded Sound Discussion List
From:         Thomas Stern <[log in to unmask]>
Subject:      Re: Oscar Levant-William Kernell Opera 'Carnival'

Hi Karl & David, Thanks for this information - please let me know some details of this LP (title, label, catalog number....). Would be very interested in obtaining a copy or dub. In searching the (En)rico Ricardi reference, a site about film dubbing indicated that the singing voice for Karloff is Tudor Williams. Anyone know? I thought the 'Karloff' vocals were rather musical, the others grating. Did Williams make any recordings? Thanks! Best wishes, Thomas. Karl Miller wrote: >On Mon, 14 Nov 2005, David Lennick wrote: > > > >>Unless I'm thinking of something else, that opera came out on an LP produced by >>film historian Tony Thomas for one of his labels (Medallion?)....had some >>interesting Oscar Levant airchecks as well. >> >> > >And for an added bit of interest...that disc was produced by none other >than Michael Feinstein...former secretary of Ira Gershwin and now very >well known and superb vocalist (I really think he is terrific) and >member of ARSC. And, on a related thread, many years ago Michael dubbed >for me several tapes he had made from lacquers of performances of Oscar's >music...tapes which suffer from squeal, and when baked, flaked! I did >manage to make fair sounding dubs. > >Karl > > > >