Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (November 2005)Back to main ARSCLIST pageJoin or leave ARSCLISTReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional fontLog in
Date:         Tue, 15 Nov 2005 15:53:41 -0500
Sender:       Association for Recorded Sound Discussion List
From:         David Lewis <[log in to unmask]>
Subject:      Re: unknown celluloid cylinder

David, Don't know if it helps, but the tune "When I Get You Alone Tonight" is by Fred Fisher, Joe McCarthy and Joe Goodwin, and was first published in 1912. David N. Lewis Assistant Classical Editor, All Music Guide 1168 Oak Valley Dr. Ann Arbor, MI 48108 734 887 8145 "Contemporary composers, and at least a considerable number of them, explain what system they used, in what way they arrived at something. I do not do that. I think that the matter of the way by which one arrived at something is, for the listeners, unimportant. What matters is the final result, that is the work itself." -Grazyna Bacewicz, 1964 -----Original Message----- From: Association for Recorded Sound Discussion List [mailto:[log in to unmask]] On Behalf Of Copeland, Peter Sent: Tuesday, November 15, 2005 9:42 AM To: [log in to unmask] Subject: Re: [ARSCLIST] unknown celluloid cylinder Dear David, I am very sorry to be so long in answering your query; but I believe I have a cylinder like that myself. It's in my private collection at home, and I believe it was a "bargain price" type (possibly costing tenpence or a shilling). When I have a moment, I shall dig it out and let you know. I also have some editions of the British trade journals "Sound Wave" and "Talking Machine Review"; it is even possible I may be able to date it! I get the impression such cylinders filled a market niche, to be given away to customers who bought a phonograph as opposed to a gramophone. Peter Copeland <[log in to unmask]> -----Original Message----- From: Association for Recorded Sound Discussion List [mailto:[log in to unmask]] On Behalf Of David Seubert Sent: 09 September 2005 19:41 To: [log in to unmask] Subject: [ARSCLIST] unknown celluloid cylinder I have a celluloid (or some type of plastic) cylinder that I can't identify. Perhaps somebody here can help. It is a standard-sized, two-minute cylinder with a cardboard core with a metal ring at the beginning of the cylinder with a thin layer of black celluloid over the top. The bottom of the celluloid layer appears blue. There is no celluloid lip on either end and no writing on the cylinder. The cylinder wall itself is quite a bit thinner than a typical cylinder and is not tapered. The cylinder is not announced, but the pop song is "When I get you alone tonight." Any ideas? David -- David Seubert, Curator Performing Arts Collection Davidson Library University of California Santa Barbara, CA 93106-9010 Tel: 805-893-5444 Fax: 805-893-5749 [log in to unmask] http://library.ucsb.edu/speccoll/pa/ ************************************************************************** Experience the British Library online at www.bl.uk Help the British Library conserve the world's knowledge. Adopt a Book. www.bl.uk/adoptabook The Library's St Pancras site is WiFI - enabled ************************************************************************** The information contained in this e-mail is confidential and may be legally privileged. It is intended for the addressee(s) only. If you are not the intended recipient, please delete this e-mail and notify the [log in to unmask] : The contents of this e-mail must not be disclosed or copied without the sender's consent. The statements and opinions expressed in this message are those of the author and do not necessarily reflect those of the British Library. The British Library does not take any responsibility for the views of the author. **************************************************************************