Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (November 2005)Back to main ARSCLIST pageJoin or leave ARSCLISTReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional fontLog in
Date:         Mon, 7 Nov 2005 16:52:33 -0500
Sender:       Association for Recorded Sound Discussion List
From:         David Lennick <[log in to unmask]>
Subject:      Re: Magnetic Tape - questions...

Robert Hodge wrote: > Hello, > > You are undoubtedly looking at what is refered to as " Back Coated " > tape. You rembember correctly. The dull side is the backing !! > > This tape was developed to improve the grip of the pinch roller to the > tape backing to minimise slippage when passing through the capstan.. > Indeed , this tape is recorded on the shiny- Oxide coated- surface . > Attemptng to record on the dull surface of this type of tape will > result in muddy, indestinct recording. > > Sincerely, > Bob Hodge > > Robert Hodge, > Senior Engineer > Belfer Audio Archive > Syracuse University > 222 Waverly Ave . > Syracuse N.Y. 13244-2010 On the other hand, we were using half-mil tape at slow speed at CJRT in the late 60s when this was the only way to record long programs to run on the automated system. I once recorded the entire 4-hour evening jazz program with the tape flipped, noticed it after I'd finished recording, said a few choice words and then checked the playback, and apart from a small loss in highs (this was mono FM and we probably had 10 listeners in those days) it didn't sound bad enough to re-do it. dl > > > 315-443- 7971 > FAX-315-443-4866 > > >>> [log in to unmask] 11/7/2005 3:25 PM >>> > I work in an archive of mixed materials - paper collections and > audio/visual collections. I am sorting through reel-to-reel 1/4" audio > tape, and I am seeing things that are making me doubt my prior > standards... > > In the classroom and in many "best-practices" that I have read, reels > are recommended to be stored tails-out, oxide facing in. When splicing > repairs or attaching heads/tails, the splicing tape is to be place on > the backing of the tape - the shiny side. > > In my travels through the archive, I am noticing many reels that are > wound shiny-side IN, and many many instances of splicing tape applied to > the dull, recorded side. > > Are my standards too high? Am I remembering my classroom notes > backwards? Any thoughts would be appreciated, to help me make "heads or > tails" of this. Thank you!