Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (November 2005)Back to main ARSCLIST pageJoin or leave ARSCLISTReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional fontLog in
Date:         Fri, 11 Nov 2005 12:10:15 -0500
Sender:       Association for Recorded Sound Discussion List
From:         "Richard L. Hess" <[log in to unmask]>
Subject:      Loss of Lubricant and A- and B-winds
Comments: To: AMPEX LIST <[log in to unmask]>, [log in to unmask]

Ok, an interesting thought occurred to me through an off-list discussion. In normal practice, as I understand it, the "Lubricant Package" was thrown into the coating vat and is coated on the tape along with the oxide. So, for A-wind tapes, the lubricant theoretically lubricates everything - tape passing over guides and heads. I'm starting to wonder where the stiction occurs in cassettes, since they are B-wind, the back of the tape passes over guides (most are rotating) but doesn't have any lubrication. I'm wondering if we can glean anything from the German Radio B-wind tapes though I know most of those are rotating guides as well. I had assumed (I know that's dangerous) that most of the stiction in cassettes was from the heads themselves. Any thoughts would be appreciated. I hypothesize that LoL will become a growing problem - and baking exacerbates it. Cheers, Richard Richard L. Hess [log in to unmask] Aurora, Ontario, Canada http://www.richardhess.com/ Detailed contact information: http://www.richardhess.com/tape/contact.htm