Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (November 2005)Back to main ARSCLIST pageJoin or leave ARSCLISTReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional fontLog in
Date:         Mon, 7 Nov 2005 14:52:40 -0600
Sender:       Association for Recorded Sound Discussion List
From:         "[log in to unmask]" <[log in to unmask]>
Subject:      Re: Magnetic Tape - questions...

Some tapes are back coated, have a dull black or dark gray side that should face outwards, and the relatively shiny side, which may be brown, should face in and contains the recorded information. Splicing tape should be placed on the duller outside coating, as you have described. This would be typical of many tapes from the 1970s and on. You did not indicate the vintage of your tapes. Of course, if your tapes are NOT back coated, they are wrong. You will have to play some to see which side contains magnetic information, but I'm willing to bet that they are back coated tapes. For so many to be stored wrong would have required a lot of effort on someone's part to get things so screwed up. The bad news is that if they are as I suspect, you have a worse problem. Many tapes from the time period described, the back coated tapes, exhibit a problem called sticky shed syndrome. They shed, and they get sticky as they experience chemical breakdown of the binder. That is ANOTHER HUGE problem. The tapes should be baked in an oven - seriously - and transferred to another more stable medium. Joe Salerno Video Works! Is it working for you? PO Box 273405 - Houston TX 77277-3405 http://joe.salerno.com ----- Original Message ----- From: "Melanie Brown" <[log in to unmask]> To: <[log in to unmask]> Sent: Monday, November 07, 2005 2:25 PM Subject: [ARSCLIST] Magnetic Tape - questions... I work in an archive of mixed materials - paper collections and audio/visual collections. I am sorting through reel-to-reel 1/4" audio tape, and I am seeing things that are making me doubt my prior standards... In the classroom and in many "best-practices" that I have read, reels are recommended to be stored tails-out, oxide facing in. When splicing repairs or attaching heads/tails, the splicing tape is to be place on the backing of the tape - the shiny side. In my travels through the archive, I am noticing many reels that are wound shiny-side IN, and many many instances of splicing tape applied to the dull, recorded side. Are my standards too high? Am I remembering my classroom notes backwards? Any thoughts would be appreciated, to help me make "heads or tails" of this. Thank you! __________ NOD32 1.1277 (20051105) Information __________ This message was checked by NOD32 antivirus system. http://www.eset.com