Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (November 2005)Back to main ARSCLIST pageJoin or leave ARSCLISTReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional fontLog in
Date:         Thu, 10 Nov 2005 12:38:31 -0500
Sender:       Association for Recorded Sound Discussion List
From:         "Richard L. Hess" <[log in to unmask]>
Subject:      Re: Squealing Scotch 996

Hi, Rick, This is indeed promising! I have a 2B large hexagonal Lyra stick that I haven't tried yet--it has a removable paper overwrap. I also have some HB Koh-I-Noor smaller round sticks that seem to have a painted coating that needs to be scraped off. The end is "sharpened" as in a pencil sharpener. I also have (somewhere) a container of powdered artists' graphite I haven't opened. I got all this and haven't had another LoL reel tape since the Sony one a year ago, and this stuff isn't practical (yet) to use on cassettes. Today I'm doing two 8-tracks, so I'll have lots of graphite probably in places I don't want it <sigh>. Cheers, Richard At 01:38 AM 11/10/2005, you wrote: >Hi Richard, > >I used a Cretacolor 6B graphite stick. I held the stick flat >against the binder >side of the tape as it played, at a spot just after it left the playback reel >and before it reached the first tape guide. As I recall, it may >have taken two >passes to eliminate the squeal completely, but the results after the >first pass >were encouraging enough to warrant a second try. I rotated the stick >occasionally because it seemed to get worn and shiny at the point of contact, >and to acquire a buildup of crud (probably from the tape). > >I'm guessing the softer grades of graphite are better for lubrication. I >understand it is also sold in powder form, but the stick seemed easier to >manipulate. > >Rick Taylor >Austin, Texas > Richard L. Hess [log in to unmask] Aurora, Ontario, Canada http://www.richardhess.com/ Detailed contact information: http://www.richardhess.com/tape/contact.htm