Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (November 2005)Back to main ARSCLIST pageJoin or leave ARSCLISTReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional fontLog in
Date:         Thu, 10 Nov 2005 09:40:08 -0600
Sender:       Association for Recorded Sound Discussion List
From:         Marie Azile O'Connell <[log in to unmask]>
Subject:      Re: Loss of Lubricant - note from Marie

Thanks Richard - I am hoping that this emailing from my home is now working Quoting "Richard L. Hess" <[log in to unmask]>: > Marie O'Connell asked me to forward this to the list as she cannot > post from her home email address. > > Marie: The seminar went well. Thanks for asking. > > From Marie: > > Thank you Richard, by the way I hope your seminar went well. And, I am very > glad that your students didn't bring any of the offending tapes! > > I am currently working from home as I've had a total knee replacement....now > I > am bionic, with plastic and titanium. > > I am happy to send pictures of my setup that I had in New Zealand and > information about my Isopropyl Drip method (with special secrets, kept as > that, > special secrets!) > > My offending tapes have been Scotch, AGFA, Pyral, and more! You can never > trust > the box that a tape is in. I came from Radio New Zealand Sound Archives/Nga > Taonga Korero, and radio broadcasters had a habit of grabbing just any tape > available to them. So, they may have made the recording in 1995 but, the > tape > was already 25 years old! > > Some archives that I have been to have a habit of changing their boxes, > which > is > a good idea if they are put into archival acid-free boxes. But, they have > not > recorded what the boxes were or information that was contained on the > original > box. This makes it a challenge for the archivist, but I love a good > challenge! > > Cheers > Marie O'Connell > Sound Archivist/Sound Consultant > The Center for Oral History & Cultural Heritage > The University of Southern Mississippi > > > > Richard L. Hess [log in to unmask] > Aurora, Ontario, Canada http://www.richardhess.com/ > Detailed contact information: http://www.richardhess.com/tape/contact.htm > Marie O'Connell Sound Archivist/Sound Engineer/Sound Consultant Center for Oral History & Cultural Heritage University of Southern Mississippi Phone: 601-266-6514 Mobile: 601-329-6911