Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (November 2003)Back to main ARSCLIST pageJoin or leave ARSCLISTReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional fontLog in
Date:         Thu, 6 Nov 2003 10:12:45 +1300
Sender:       Association for Recorded Sound Discussion List
From:         Rachel Lord <[log in to unmask]>
Subject:      Re: Jack Johnson

At Sound Archives/Nga Taonga Korero we have the recording made on Coral Records CL 30,113 called Great Moments in Boxing, written and produced by Bud Greenspan, narrated by Don Dunphy. It has a few seconds of Jackson speaking at the end of side one, talking about when he gets the rosin on his feet. Also we have a very intersting recording made in 1948 by the National Broadcasting Service (NZ)called Great Days in Sport, all about the Oct 16, 1909 fight Johnson v Ketchet. It is 12'23" duration. It is a dramatisation but includes extremely realistic sounding commentary from the fight... could this be actuality or is it a very good recreation??? I would be very interested to know. Please contact me off list for further details Rachel Lord RACHEL LORD Chief Sound Archivist Sound Archives/Nga Taonga Korero PO Box 1531 Christchurch, New Zealand Ph 03 374 8440; 027 969 935 Search online at www.soundarchives.co.nz -----Original Message----- From: Neal Lavon [mailto:[log in to unmask]] Sent: Thursday, 6 November 2003 8:03 a.m. To: [log in to unmask] Subject: [ARSCLIST] Jack Johnson I am looking for any voice recordings of former heavyweight champion Jack Johnson. Johnson was champion from 1908 to 1915. He lived to the mid 1940s. Any suggestions or known recordings would be appreciated. Neal Lavon Voice of America Washington, D.C. 20237 202-619-0112