Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (November 2003)Back to main ARSCLIST pageJoin or leave ARSCLISTReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional fontLog in
Date:         Thu, 20 Nov 2003 12:57:41 -0800
Sender:       Association for Recorded Sound Discussion List
From:         Mike Richter <[log in to unmask]>
Subject:      Re: Tandberg 6000X Tape Deck

At 06:43 PM 11/20/2003 +0100, Goran Finnberg wrote: >I do believe that what Mr Gaustad is asking has to do with if the >machine follows American EQ standards eg NAB or if the Tandberg rec/play >EQ follows European convention eg IEC/CCIR. If I recall correctly, the equalization for Tandberg recorders depended on the market to which they were addressed. However, the question of equalization is not bsed on the brand of recorder but, as you say, on the standard used. Thus, once you know whether your recorder is NAB or CCIR, you would need to correct if and only if the tape you were playing was the other. >This is ALWAYS necessary to know and without it then the playback EQ >settings becomes a pure guesswork unless somebody have been thoughtful >enough to put the always necessary calibration tones at head to >guarantee that the playback machine can be exactly adjusted to have the >same azimuth and frequency response as the recording device. Azimuth adjustment is among the factors which led me to believe my Tandbergs needed professional service annually. For a while, that meant that I had one extra machine at all times so the four I used regularly would all be available while one was cycled into service. I switched to TEAC despite their being slightly inferior in audio, they maintained adjustment. Of course, that depended on the model of Tandberg and TEAC, but the general rule applied. Mike [log in to unmask] http://www.mrichter.com/