Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (November 2003)Back to main ARSCLIST pageJoin or leave ARSCLISTReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional fontLog in
Date:         Thu, 6 Nov 2003 11:11:28 -0500
Sender:       Association for Recorded Sound Discussion List
From:         Aaron Luis Levinson <[log in to unmask]>
Subject:      Re: Jack Johnson

My personal favorite is the concept album by Miles Davis called "Jack Johnson". I do not remember his voice used in the proceedings but it is certainly an excellent and under appreciated part of the MDD canon. If you are a fan of electric Miles you will love this album. The cover art is also superb. Clearly, with contemporaries and later adherents like Arthur Cravan and Miles Davis, Mr. Johnson was a very unusual and potent figure and one deserving wider recognition. aa On Thursday, November 6, 2003, at 12:23 PM, kyle barnett wrote: > Neal, > > There's a musical short of Jack Johnson's Jazz Band (yes, the same > Jack Johnson) that features him speaking briefly at the beginning of > the footage (if memory serves). I saw the clip on a videotape > released by Yazoo (the roots music reissue label) in 1992 called > _Times Ain't Like They Used to Be: Early Rural and Popular American > Music_. It might be worth checking out. > > Johnson's career has some strange permutations. There's a poster of > a boxing match between him and Dadaist Arthur Cravan (!!!) in Robert > Motherwell's _The Dada Painters and Poets: An Anthology_ (Belknap > Press, Harvard UP). > > Hope this helps. > > Best, > Kyle Barnett > Ph.D. candidate > Dept. of Radio-Television-Film > College of Communication > The University of Texas at Austin > >> >> >>> I am looking for any voice recordings of former heavyweight >>> champion Jack >>> Johnson. Johnson was champion from 1908 to 1915. He lived to the mid >> 1940s. >>> >>> Any suggestions or known recordings would be appreciated. >> > >> > Neal Lavon >> > Voice of America >> > Washington, D.C. 20237 >> > 202-619-0112 > > Sincerely, Aaron Sincerely, Aaron