Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (October 2008)Back to main ARSCLIST pageJoin or leave ARSCLISTReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional fontLog in
Date:         Sun, 5 Oct 2008 23:07:35 -0400
Sender:       Association for Recorded Sound Discussion List
From:         Punto <[log in to unmask]>
Subject:      Re: Lysistrata Overture (2)
Comments: To: Association for Recorded Sound Discussion List
          <[log in to unmask]>, Steven Smolian <[log in to unmask]>

After diong a little more digging, I see that the Lincke Lysistrata was written in 1902 (which makes it early enough) and that it is the source of the Glow-worm song, popularized by the Mills Bros., et al. There is definitely an overture (see http://www.schott-music.com/shop/Sheet_Music/Orchestra_Ensembles/Salon_Orchestra_Spa_Orchestra_Combo/show,6860.html ), though I can't point you towards any sheet music for it. Peter Hirsch Steven Smolian wrote: > I've a US pathe record no later than 1920. It contains a "Lysistrata Overture" Parts 1 & 2. No composer. It's performed by the Pathe Freres Orchestra. It's probably pressed from French masters. > > Any idea who the composer might be? > > Steve Smolian > > > >