Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (October 2008)Back to main ARSCLIST pageJoin or leave ARSCLISTReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional fontLog in
Date:         Sat, 25 Oct 2008 12:49:33 -0700
Sender:       Association for Recorded Sound Discussion List
From:         Lou Judson <[log in to unmask]>
Subject:      Re: 45rpm sound quality with respect to their 33rpm counterpart?

anecdotal comment: The only 45 classical I ever saw was pressed off center so it wowed a lot, all three discs. (Manitas de Plata, flamenco guitar) so I never had another one. <L> Lou Judson • Intuitive Audio 415-883-2689 On Oct 25, 2008, at 9:57 AM, D. Blake Werts wrote: > Hi, > > Was wondering what the consensus is, if there is one, in regards to > the sound quality of Classical 45rpm discs from the 50s with > respect to their 33rpm counterparts? Are they "generally worse," > "essentially the same," or "generally better"? My layman's > assumption is that since recorded music is covering more ground > with the increased rpms on a 45, that you could expect better sound > quality. However, maybe this is offset by the difference in > tonearm angles since the groove is tighter around the center hole? > > Thanks Much! > D. Blake Werts