Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (October 2008)Back to main ARSCLIST pageJoin or leave ARSCLISTReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional fontLog in
Date:         Fri, 24 Oct 2008 14:33:35 -0500
Sender:       Association for Recorded Sound Discussion List
From:         Scott Phillips <[log in to unmask]>
Subject:      Re: Aren't recordings original sources?

Interesting. When I worked for Sony, our department was responsible for UL leakage testing of professional products, among other things. If the leakage was caused by the equipment itself, it should never have been approved for sale, or the equipment was defective. Cheap power transformers and badly designed surge suppressors seem to be more common than one would like, both with high leakage factors. Still, as I remember any leakage current you could actually feel is far outside the UL certification limits. This does assume proper design with a polarized 2 prong plug, or, of course, proper 3 prong grounding. In more cases than I care to say, I have found that the outlet that everything was plugged into was wired incorrectly. Every single house I've ever lived in had at least one wired wrong when I checked them all, or incorrect grounds / crossed neutral wires. I have no doubt at all that the effects of AC leakage currents can produce audible changes beyond just making some noise. (Which would be bad enough anyway.) As Clark might have pointed out, an inferior power cord arrangement may increase leakage currents. He and I may not agree on everything, but an outright cheesy power cord could have enough reactance to couple leakage currents... Scott -----Original Message----- From: Association for Recorded Sound Discussion List [mailto:[log in to unmask]] On Behalf Of Don Cox Sent: Thursday, October 23, 2008 3:09 PM To: [log in to unmask] Subject: Re: [ARSCLIST] Aren't recordings original sources? Hello Larry On 21/10/08, Larry S Miller wrote: > I completely agree with your observation below about there being a > audible difference depending upon electrical plug orientation (for > two-pronged plugs.) On many units I was able to determine the "proper" > orientation by running the back of my hand across the faceplate of a > unit. If I felt a noticeable tingle, I'd reverse the plug and try > again. Invariably, the one with the least tingle was the best > sounding. I agree with this, but I haven't had this experience with recent equipment. > Now, I will say that some other people seemed less able to detect > this than I, but we did do some blind tests and I was consistently > able to identify the same orientation on those units which had a > perceptible difference. Some units seemed to have no difference, > perhaps those were better designed. > Regards -- Don Cox [log in to unmask]