Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (October 2008)Back to main ARSCLIST pageJoin or leave ARSCLISTReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional fontLog in
Date:         Thu, 23 Oct 2008 12:12:30 -0400
Sender:       Association for Recorded Sound Discussion List
From:         Clark Johnsen <[log in to unmask]>
Subject:      Re: Absolute Polarity

On Wed, Oct 22, 2008 at 11:33 PM, Lou Judson <[log in to unmask]> wrote: > Interesting! Wonder why the two sides of a record wold be different? (Bob > O, do you know?) I know! I know! It's either intentionality or a misguided democratic spirit (something for everyone). Heck, I've found records that alternate the damn cuts! > > > I have worked with a radio program set with two hosts - he was top heavy, > she had peaks higher below the line. I never did find out if it was the > mics, the pres, or her voice, and she has passed on now. I have a sneaky > feeling he gave her the inferior mic... Or wired it up out-of-phase. clark > > > <L> > > Lou Judson • Intuitive Audio > 415-883-2689 > > > > On Oct 22, 2008, at 3:17 PM, Tom Fine wrote: > > This backs up my unscientific observation of what "sounds right" having now >> transferred over 1000 hours of spoken-word recordings. A surprising number >> of old LPs have one side "top heavy" waveforms and one side "bottom heavy." >> Reversing the polarity of the "bottom heavy" nearly always improves voice >> clarity and make the voice stand out more against the surface noise. >> >> -- Tom Fine >> >