Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (October 2008)Back to main ARSCLIST pageJoin or leave ARSCLISTReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional fontLog in
Date:         Sat, 18 Oct 2008 14:04:40 -0400
Sender:       Association for Recorded Sound Discussion List
From:         "Richard L. Hess" <[log in to unmask]>
Subject:      Re: Hyperthreading (was Software for Mac)

At 11:48 PM 2008-10-17, carlstephen koto wrote: >Thanks Steven, that's why I asked Richard about the hyperthreading >before. I use a quad cored Mac (each processor is 2.6G) and when I'm >processing audio, I open a widget that displays processor usage. When >I run my restoration software (iZotope Rx) or any other intensive >editing processes, only one of the four processors is doing 90% (just >a visual estimate) of the work. If the one processor is "limiting >out" a second processor will momentarily run up to about 50%.The >other three are barely working (running the display and operating >system?). As a result, my software runs just a little faster than it >would on a single processor. Hello, Steve, That was what I saw in the hyperthreading model as well under Windows. Alas, in hyperthreading, it appears that half the CPU cycles are allocated to each thread (as opposed to the multi-core processors), therefore in hyperthreading, I was losing performance with this function activated. Your report on what the Mac does and what I've seen hyperthreading do under Windows are why I've been staying away from multi-core CPUs which have a big cost with little benefit IN THIS APPLICATION. In fact, I might suggest that other than efficiencies in fewer CPU clock cycles per instruction in the latest processors, that the typical mid-2.5 GHz multi-core processor may not offer any improvement over a 3 GHz single core unit. It would be interesting to see further data points on this. Cheers, Richard Richard L. Hess email: [log in to unmask] Aurora, Ontario, Canada (905) 713 6733 1-877-TAPE-FIX Detailed contact information: http://www.richardhess.com/tape/contact.htm Quality tape transfers -- even from hard-to-play tapes.