Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (October 2008)Back to main ARSCLIST pageJoin or leave ARSCLISTReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional fontLog in
Date:         Fri, 17 Oct 2008 19:27:00 -0400
Sender:       Association for Recorded Sound Discussion List
From:         Tom Fine <[log in to unmask]>
Subject:      Re: Aren't recordings original sources?

Mal, and others, I highly recommend you read writings about grounding available from the AES. All of this stuff is addressed. This is a great place to start: http://www.aes.org/sections/pnw/pnwrecaps/2005/whitlock/whitlock_pnw05.pdf -- Tom Fine ----- Original Message ----- From: "Malcolm Rockwell" <[log in to unmask]> To: <[log in to unmask]> Sent: Friday, October 17, 2008 12:09 PM Subject: Re: [ARSCLIST] Aren't recordings original sources? > Thanks, Bob. > There are at least two other problems I've dealt with as well. > I owned and operated one of the last analog pro studios in Northern California for a few years and > was plagued with intermittent ghost hums and other ills. It wasn't until I put a large 1:1 > isolation transformer between the pole and the main power feed that much of that went away. > Still there were some problems. We discovered, through the highly scientific hit-or-miss method, > that ground for a rack is not necessarily ground for the power system. That there can be a > potential voltage difference not only there, but difference in resistance depending on where the > copper ground stakes for each separate circuit are placed in, well, the ground! > Once we discovered that some time, persistence and a good voltmeter banished the problems. Now all > we had to deal with were any parallel voltage feeds to other, outside circuits and noisy client > amplifiers. The iso transformer took care of the first, and individual attention, the second. > The point of all this is as I said before - one power cord will not make any appreciable > difference in frequency response - including 60 cycle hum - for an individual unit in the chain, > unless it is flawed (said flaw would include its being under-gauge for it's application). > Mal Rockwell > > ******* > > Bob Olhsson wrote: >> -----Original Message----- >> >From Tom Fine: "... do you think powerline fuzz and hash matter more, less >> or none to modern gear that uses cheaper/lightweight and switching-type power supplies? I'd think >> the >> old-school stuff wouldn't care, it was designed to operate on the principle of an over-spec'd >> power supply >> providing a large reserve for peak-power demands after the conversion to DC. But some of these >> modern >> devices -- including well-rated professional gear -- seem to have such flimsy power supplies, I >> wonder if all this matters more in that world. Plus, there are arguments to be made about the >> quality of internal power and the performance of digital devices, but again what is provided on >> the >> gear may well be up to the job in the case of professional-grade equipment. Bottom line, I highly >> doubt >> what sort of power cord you use as long as you're using properly-spec'd gauge wires, matters in >> any >> of this..." >> >> I've heard power cords make a surprising difference especially shielded vs. >> non-shielded. Tying every neutral in an audio system together at one point >> makes a bigger difference as does cleaning and tightening every single AC >> connection all the way back to the power pole. Doing both in my experience >> has reduced the effect of AC cords considerably. >> >> You can ask anybody in the touring sound business and they'll talk your ear >> off for an hour about the incompetent power supply and grounding design >> found in most of the past 40 years worth of so-called "pro" audio gear and >> there is no reason to expect consumer audio to be any better. When you >> consider how little AC wiring has even been touched in a half century and >> how poorly designed most gear is, it shouldn't be surprising that anything >> that alters the frequency response of an audio grounding system may well be >> audible due to different flavors of RFI. Obviously if you can hear anything >> change, all flavors are wrong but those of us who hear this stuff aren't >> lunatics and at least some of us are pretty happy with a heavy duty, well >> shielded $20 power cord. >> >> >> Bob Olhsson Audio Mastery, Nashville TN >> Mastering, Audio for Picture, Mix Evaluation and Quality Control >> Over 40 years making people sound better than they ever imagined! >> 615.385.8051 http://www.hyperback.com http://www.thewombforums.com >> >> >> >