Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (October 2008)Back to main ARSCLIST pageJoin or leave ARSCLISTReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional fontLog in
Date:         Fri, 17 Oct 2008 15:34:34 -0400
Sender:       Association for Recorded Sound Discussion List
From:         Clark Johnsen <[log in to unmask]>
Subject:      Re: Aren't recordings original sources?

On Fri, Oct 17, 2008 at 11:21 AM, Bob Olhsson <[log in to unmask]> wrote: > Tom, I assume it's foil connected to the chassis neutral connection. I've > never taken one apart but it's a standard electrical supply house part. For > all I know a change in capacitance is what causes the audible changes. I've > never known anybody who wasn't highly skeptical about this, especially > folks > who've paid big bucks for a power cord! I have to tell ya, it's the folks who pay the big bucks who are the *most *skeptical. There's scarce a dealer alive who won't let a customer have a two- to four-week home demo. Plenty of time there to exercise one's skepticism! And you don't like it, you don't buy it. This of course flies against the frequent claim one hears, Aw, they spent all that money on it and now they have to like it. The liking always *precedes* the spending. > > > It would cost a lot of money to research and prove anything not to mention > the fact that it is a moving target because of variations in building > wiring. Folks will probably just need to keep on arguing until somebody's > got a spare $100,000 they are willing to waste on trying to make a point. Another excellent argument. Not to neglect variations in the RFI environment, in the noise on the power line (which is considerable), and even in the generation. clark > > > Bob Olhsson Audio Mastery, Nashville TN > Mastering, Audio for Picture, Mix Evaluation and Quality Control > Over 40 years making people sound better than they ever imagined! > 615.385.8051 http://www.hyperback.com http://www.thewombforums.com > > > -----Original Message----- > From: Association for Recorded Sound Discussion List > [mailto:[log in to unmask]] On Behalf Of Tom Fine > Sent: Friday, October 17, 2008 9:28 AM > To: [log in to unmask] > Subject: Re: [ARSCLIST] Aren't recordings original sources? > > Bob, are you talking about a power cord with a foil shield like a > standard > audio cable? I thought UL > or some other standards body wants a solid green-wire, same gauge as the > two > conductors. Is the > shield a separate wire? Is it connected to the greenwire ground? What are > you sheilding, fuzz from > coming off the power conductors or fuzz from coming in from the outside? > > -- Tom Fine > > >