Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (October 2008)Back to main ARSCLIST pageJoin or leave ARSCLISTReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional fontLog in
Date:         Wed, 15 Oct 2008 13:09:41 -0500
Sender:       Association for Recorded Sound Discussion List
From:         Robert Cham <[log in to unmask]>
Subject:      Re: Software for Mac

That's great! A typo in a message about typos. Yes I meant 24 bit 96 KHz. The reason that I wonder if it is good enough is that research was done in the late '70s or early '80s that showed that the average Joe could discern information over 20 dB down into the noise on an analog recording. No, I don't have the citations anymore. This is the localization information that tells you about the acoustic properties of the hall and even can help one discern depth in a two track recording played on a good reproduction system. All of this falls below 1 bit on a CD, and is the reason that they sound so "flat". All of the above is only true if a coincident micing system is used, or at least well placed spaced omnis. What I refer to as multi-track mono (many mics close to instruments) does not capture any of this information. Some of the tapes that I have to transfer are of this quality. I hope to make data discs on DVD at at least 24 / 96, for use when the playback technology catches up with analog. Thus I wonder if 24 /96 is good enough to capture all of the information on the tapes. If all of this is too OT, perhaps Lou and I should move it to DAW-MAC. Bob Cham >heh heh, my typo - meant 24, not 12! > ><L> >Lou Judson * Intuitive Audio >415-883-2689 > > >On Oct 14, 2008, at 4:35 PM, Lou Judson wrote: > >>14 bit? You sure? That would be a problem... I try to always record 12 bit... >>If it is a typo, you're forgiven. I'd still use 24 bit though. >><L>