Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (October 2008)Back to main ARSCLIST pageJoin or leave ARSCLISTReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional fontLog in
Date:         Mon, 6 Oct 2008 19:33:33 -0400
Sender:       Association for Recorded Sound Discussion List
From:         David Lennick <[log in to unmask]>
Subject:      Re: FM reception way back when

Last night was THE night for nostalgic sounds..Surfin' Bird beaten to death on Family Guy, and Mad Men closing with Telstar. dl David Weiner wrote: > I like the accuracy of the current TV show MAD MEN, which takes place in > 1962. The main family lives in Westchester and whenever we see the parents > or kids watching TV, the reception is a bit off - slight double images, > occasional snow - just as it would have been then using a rooftop TV antenna > from such a distance from New York City. > > Dave W. > > -----Original Message----- > From: Association for Recorded Sound Discussion List > [mailto:[log in to unmask]] On Behalf Of David Lennick > Sent: Monday, October 06, 2008 12:59 AM > To: [log in to unmask] > Subject: [ARSCLIST] FM reception way back when > > Anyone remember similar experiences to this? I'm just listening to a tape > made > in 1960 (I recorded it, in fact) off the CBC's FM station in Toronto, and > while > the quality is excellent and free from interference, every so often there's > a > brief series of clicks..because someone elsewhere in the house changed the > television channel. > > We were a family of tape fiends. Schedules were noted..taping off AM was > even > worse, since light switches, television, running the dishwasher, opening the > > fridge, just about anything involving electricity would cause clicks, > buzzing, > static, whistle etc. As my mother frequently replied, "I can't pee in the > dark." > > dl > >