Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (January 2007)Back to main ARSCLIST pageJoin or leave ARSCLISTReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional fontLog in
Date:         Fri, 5 Jan 2007 20:13:33 -0500
Sender:       Association for Recorded Sound Discussion List
From:         "D. Blake Werts" <[log in to unmask]>
Subject:      Re: Libraries disposing of records

To bring it full-circle with the currently running "discarding books" thread, imagine saying something similar about the printed page: humor me and replace references to 78s and etc, with Classic Literature/books/etc: (this may or may not work... but lets try...) At the risk of offending bibliophiles, etc., I'll offer a similar reality check, in line with Bob's [and Tom's] postings. Guys, Classic Literature/Books are a real FRINGE/NICHE. Anything with any remote chance of "mass market" is out on DVD or YouTube. Most people just don't like Old/Middle/Victorian English of yesteryear. Yes, there are some Classic Work reprints where they went back to the original manuscripts and used modern, accessible, and marketable rewrites, and it's great that modern life offers that wonderful Literature in a better-than-original mass-market format. But those dusty tomes, they're just a novelty nowadays, in most but not all cases. Now, that said, of course I'll grab a pile from the curbside if the works are anything I'm remotely interested in because I still like to read books for my nieces and nephews to show them "ye olde entertainment activities". But I limit my book "collection" to one bookshelf and I'd heave it first if I got in a space crunch. Illuminated manuscripts -- I'm really glad <someone> has that archive online but I can't see how anyone would read that stuff for enjoyment. It reads worse than a material written from another world! But, back to my main point, if there's a profitable market for something, it finds its value and there apparently is no market for most Classic Literature. --- Please note that I certainly do not feel this way. I'm just hoping that folks will understand the metaphor--and appreciate the fact that it is ALL valuable material shellac or paper or whatever else! D. Blake Werts ----- Original Message ----- From: "Tom Fine" <[log in to unmask]> To: <[log in to unmask]> Sent: Friday, January 05, 2007 6:06 PM Subject: Re: [ARSCLIST] Libraries disposing of records > At the risk of offending some on list, I have to offer a reality check, in line with Bob's posting. > Guys, 78's are a real FRINGE/NICHE. Anything with any remote chance of "mass market" is out on CD or > iTunes. Most people -- myself included -- just don't like bad quality sound. Yes, there are some 78 > reissues where they went back to metal parts and used tasteful, effective and sound-improving > digital restoration, and it's great that modern life offers that wonderful music in a > better-than-original mass-market format. But those shellac disks, they're just a novelty nowadays, > in most but not all cases. Now, that said, of course I'll grab a pile from the curbside if the music > is anything I'm remotely interested in because I like to play the Victrola for my nieces and nephews > to show them "ye olde sound equipment". But I limit my 78 "collection" to one milk crate and I'd > heave it first if I got in a space crunch. Edison cylinders -- I'm really glad UCSB has that archive > online but I can't see how anyone would listen to that stuff for enjoyment. It sounds worse than a > phone call over the Internet from Europe! But, back to my main point, if there's a profitable market > for something, it finds its value and there apparently is no market for most 78's. > > -- Tom Fine > > PS -- regarding that comment about sending 78's to Germany, with that country's draconian > disposal/recycling laws, are you sure you really want to take the dumpings of the attics and moldy > basements of America? If the comment was serious, is there some sort of shellac recycling market > developed over there? > > ----- Original Message ----- > From: "Robert Hodge" <[log in to unmask]> > To: <[log in to unmask]> > Sent: Friday, January 05, 2007 4:58 PM > Subject: Re: [ARSCLIST] Libraries disposing of records > > > > Well, if it's ANY indicator.... > > > > How many Victor Red seals, green and orange label Columbia's , et al. > > get listed on Epay and never garner a single bid- not even for 1 cent. > > > > How could one expect to " make a fortune" from these record labels when > > those are the conditions which prevail ? > > ! > > > > BH > > > > > > > > > > > >>>> [log in to unmask] 1/5/2007 4:48 PM >>> > > ...why don't you ship all the 78rpms to Europe (and I speak for > > Germany) and > > you can make a fortune- instead of discarding them ! ! ! > > >