Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (January 2007)Back to main ARSCLIST pageJoin or leave ARSCLISTReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional fontLog in
Date:         Fri, 5 Jan 2007 19:18:52 -0500
Sender:       Association for Recorded Sound Discussion List
From:         "Jerry L. Hartke" <[log in to unmask]>
Subject:      Re: Archival media?

The histories of the optical media types you reference areis far too short to reach any conclusions regarding their archival capabilities. Generally it is best to avoid leading edge products that often encounter quality issues early in their life cycle. Also, the manufacturer is often more important than the media type. This can only be confirmed by testing, not by generalizations. Some longevity issues have been reported for flash memory, but these are often related to multiple overwrites. I am unaware of any reports on write-once longevity. Jerry Media Sciences, Inc. www.mscience.com > -----Original Message----- > From: Association for Recorded Sound Discussion List > [mailto:[log in to unmask]] On Behalf Of Language Archives > Sent: Friday, January 05, 2007 5:44 PM > To: [log in to unmask] > Subject: [ARSCLIST] Archival media? > > I have been asked to find out what people think (or know) about the > archival value of the following media: dual layer DVDs, BluRay disks and > flash memory. I don't particularly want to go there, but these decisions > are being made by people who have other concerns. > > Barbara > Barbara Need > Manager & Archivist