Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (January 2007)Back to main ARSCLIST pageJoin or leave ARSCLISTReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional fontLog in
Date:         Fri, 5 Jan 2007 18:19:15 -0500
Sender:       Association for Recorded Sound Discussion List
From:         David Lennick <[log in to unmask]>
Subject:      Re: Libraries disposing of records

D. Blake Werts wrote: > <sniff sniff> > > I know that I an still quite naive, but where can I sign up for one of > each?!? > > <"must preserve..."> > D. Blake Werts Actually, all it takes is making your interests known to enough connected dealers and collectors. Sometimes I receive a direct notice about a soon to be discarded collection, but more often it's through a second or third party. The owner of a second-hand record store in Rochester has alerted me to 3 major hauls (plus one or two more I didn't follow up on), especially when it was material he couldn't use or he'd gone through it first. dl > > > ----- Original Message ----- > From: "David Lennick" <[log in to unmask]> > To: <[log in to unmask]> > Sent: Friday, January 05, 2007 4:37 PM > Subject: Re: [ARSCLIST] Libraries disposing of records > > >> D. Blake Werts wrote: >>> ----- Original Message ----- >>> From: "Steve Ramm" <[log in to unmask]> >>> To: <[log in to unmask]> >>> Sent: Friday, January 05, 2007 1:25 PM >>> Subject: [ARSCLIST] Libraries disposing of records >>> >>> >>> < snip > >>>> My only take on this is that when the Temple University library needed > to >>>> dispose of their 78 rpm records (to build a new Student Union) they > called >>> 5 >>>> local knowledgeable person here (I was one but less knowledgeable than > the >>>> others). They said "take what you want". I know that when it got to me >>> (5th) I >>>> could only find about 75 records I wanted for FREE! The rest were >>> duplicate runs >>>> of Carusos and other common Red Seals and lots of 10in and 12 in >>> classical >>>> 78 sets. The pop stuff was mostly pop vocals and bands on red label >>> Columbias. >>>> Many of these were "donated" to the Temple library. They didn't even > have >>> a >>>> 78 player. My guess is about 10,000 remaining records were discarded. >>> < snip > >>> >>> What does it mean when my heart truly aches when I read something like > this? >>> How often is this type of thing happening? (and am now wondering if > there >>> is any way possible to create an archive location that can take all of > this >>> material in!) >>> >>> (Oh the pain!) >>> D. Blake Werts >>> >>> >> The fact remains that there are millions of 78s out there which very few > people >> will ever want, no matter their artistic merit. I've been on the "come and > get >> it" end of a few discarded collections, and you see the same stuff every > time. >> I don't even bother looking at single sided Red Seals. To me they're as > common >> as Al Jolson Deccas. >> >> dl > >