Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (January 2007)Back to main ARSCLIST pageJoin or leave ARSCLISTReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional fontLog in
Date:         Thu, 25 Jan 2007 11:00:12 -0800
Sender:       Association for Recorded Sound Discussion List
From:         Kiwi O'Connell <[log in to unmask]>
Subject:      Re: Tape transport gentleness was delicacy WAS reel choices was
              help in fair pricing of reel to reel machines

Hi Richard It is true that the Isopropyl Drip machine - Mark II was adapted to a Studer B67. It made sense to do this as most of the recordings of the era of LOL & SSS had been made on the B67's, which were in abundance. But many other preservation transfers were done using the latest Studers at that time, such as the 810 and some newer ones which I can't remember offhand. Cheers Kiwi Marie O'Connell Sound Archivist/Audio Engineer/Sound Consultant 3017 Nebraska Avenue Santa Monica, CA, 90404 Ph: 310-453-1615 Fax: 310-453-1715 Mobile: 601-329-6911 www.cupsnstrings.com -----Original Message----- From: Association for Recorded Sound Discussion List [mailto:[log in to unmask]] On Behalf Of Richard L. Hess Sent: Wednesday, January 24, 2007 4:38 PM To: [log in to unmask] Subject: Re: [ARSCLIST] Tape transport gentleness was delicacy WAS reel choices was help in fair pricing of reel to reel machines At 06:00 PM 2007-01-24, Tape Archive wrote: >Hi Richard, > >I'm glad one of my machines made your list. The Ampex 100(104 at our >facility). > >I've got some catching up to do. Hello Ebay? > Hello, Bruce, Goodbye Ebay, No, I don't think you need to do any catching up. I think what works for you is a good thing. Heck, Kiwi did all her great transfers in NZ on B67s which worked for her. It's all how you work and what you become used to. Since you're already invested in ATR-100s (presumably having solved the issues that Steve worries about with the transport going crazy on bad splices) that is a fantastic platform going forward. It's one of very few recorders with real support (from Spitz). Alan Silverman uses an ATR-102, I think, for his work perhaps with the Aria electronics. I know I addressed my message to you, but that was in error--I had read your reply about Otaris and had your name in my mind. I wish I had known you were into MTR-10s/12s when I sold mine to Wes Dooley -- I don't think he got his money back. Cheers, Richard Richard L. Hess email: [log in to unmask] Aurora, Ontario, Canada (905) 713 6733 1-877-TAPE-FIX Detailed contact information: http://www.richardhess.com/tape/contact.htm Quality tape transfers -- even from hard-to-play tapes.