Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (January 2007)Back to main ARSCLIST pageJoin or leave ARSCLISTReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional fontLog in
Date:         Wed, 24 Jan 2007 20:32:11 -0500
Sender:       Association for Recorded Sound Discussion List
From:         Tom Fine <[log in to unmask]>
Subject:      Re: reel choices was help in fair pricing of reel to reel machines

Hi Richard: Yes, that is very advanced. As you know, I'm more of a boutique shoppe here, so I just manually align for each case. ----- Original Message ----- From: "Richard L. Hess" <[log in to unmask]> To: <[log in to unmask]> Sent: Wednesday, January 24, 2007 7:44 PM Subject: Re: [ARSCLIST] reel choices was help in fair pricing of reel to reel machines > At 07:11 PM 2007-01-24, Tom Fine wrote: > >>By the way, the big problem with any machine that feeds 2T and QT heads through the same >>electronics (ie any machine with 2 play heads and a switch) is that you need to optimize playback >>for one or the other. Now, if both heads are really nicely buffed and aligned, it'll be close >>enough for most playbacks, but it won't be perfect unless you tweak for each head when you switch. >>I have a quarter-track play head on one of my Ampex AG-440B's and it has its own cables going to >>AG-445 type playback electronics, which are adjusted for that head alone. Meanwhile, the main >>play/record electronics are optimized for 2T. > > Yes, this is crucial and why I like the electronic setups with memory. When I swap heads on an > APR-5000, it recalls the last alignment for that head assembly (there are 12 different head > registers). I have a spreadsheet showing which machine is aligned for which head assembly. With > the APR, it goes farther. For each of the three valid speeds (it's a 4-speed machine, but you > select slow or fast per headstack) there are three presets. For some of my head assemblies, 3.75 > in/s, preset 3 is actually done with a 1.88 in/s test tape and at -50% varispeed. > > It's that flexibility as well as the wonderful sound that makes the APR one of my two favourite > machines. The A810 has NAB and CCIR for four speeds as well as a Tape A and Tape B setting which > permits two head stacks. However, one of my A810s is dedicated NAB 2T with an external play > azimuth KNOB (original Studer accessory). > > Cheers, > > Richard > > Richard L. Hess email: [log in to unmask] > Aurora, Ontario, Canada (905) 713 6733 1-877-TAPE-FIX > Detailed contact information: http://www.richardhess.com/tape/contact.htm > Quality tape transfers -- even from hard-to-play tapes.