Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (January 2007)Back to main ARSCLIST pageJoin or leave ARSCLISTReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional fontLog in
Date:         Wed, 24 Jan 2007 13:32:29 -0800
Sender:       Association for Recorded Sound Discussion List
From:         Roger and Allison Kulp <[log in to unmask]>
Subject:      Re: Strauss Japanese Festival Music

I would looove to both ,and learn more about these recordings! Roger Karl Miller <[log in to unmask]> wrote: I was recently dubbing for a friend some Japanese 78s of the Strauss Japanese Festival Music. Not having a score, the side joins were a bit problematic. I ended up with about 17 minutes of music, whereas I had a tape of another transfer, assumedly of the same recording, from an LP on a label First Edition Recordings FER-1. That transfer was about 14 minutes long! While I haven't compared the two yet, I wondered if anyone know much about the history of this recording. The labels are in Japanese but also include mention of the Bavarian State Orchestra...yet the performance suffers from many ensemble problems...and the set has "Nippon Symphony Orchestra" written in ink on the inside cover of the set. The only listing I find in OCLC is for the FER issue. I noticed that there is a CD release on Preiser, which lists the Bavarian State Orchestra. I am left to wonder if this was just a one shot reading of the piece. Since the orchestra that is used sounds like it quite large, perhaps they only had enough money for one or two takes. Since it was a commissioned, occasional piece, the large orchestra makes sense...I do know of one performance in this country, I believe at Aspen, with Mester conducting. Any additional information about the piece and/or the recording and or the FER release, would be most welcome. Karl "If you're not on somebody's watchlist,you're not doing your job" Dave Von Kleist --------------------------------- It's here! Your new message! Get new email alerts with the free Yahoo! Toolbar.