Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (January 2007)Back to main ARSCLIST pageJoin or leave ARSCLISTReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional fontLog in
Date:         Tue, 23 Jan 2007 09:05:15 -0500
Sender:       Association for Recorded Sound Discussion List
From:         Christie Peterson <[log in to unmask]>
Subject:      Adhesive tape survey

Hello, ARSC-listers: I'm looking into what kind of adhesive tape to use to affix the end of 1/4" open-reel audio tape to the reel for long-term storage. As an archivist, I am perhaps obsessively afraid of adhesive tape (it still makes me cringe a little inside every time I have to use splicing tape), since I have seen first-hand what it does after 20, 40, 60, etc. years. Still, I am at least equally afraid of damage to improperly stored audio tapes, so I'm looking for advice. From those of you who have been in the "business" for multiple decades, and/or who have worked extensively with older tapes, what type of adhesive tape do you advise (and not advise) using? Is there anything out there that doesn't seep excessively, or do other *terribly* ugly things as it ages? What do you use and why? As a corollary, the original tapes I'm working with have been stored with their ends un-secured for 30-40 years, and most don't seem to have suffered any ill effects from this. Any opinions/horror stories on the importance of taping the end down? Thanks in advance, Christie Peterson Project Archivist, Muskie Archives & Special Collections Bates College 70 Campus Avenue Lewiston, ME 04240-6018 (t) 207-753-6918 (f) 207-755-5911