Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (January 2007)Back to main ARSCLIST pageJoin or leave ARSCLISTReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional fontLog in
Date:         Thu, 18 Jan 2007 17:34:34 -0500
Sender:       Association for Recorded Sound Discussion List
From:         "Nelson-Strauss, Brenda" <[log in to unmask]>
Subject:      Re: Nominations for the 2007 ARSC Awards for Excellence

To answer Joel's question, this issue has come up in the past. We haven't expanded the awards for a couple of reasons. First, each of our five judges already has between 30-50 books/liner notes to review- and often they are given only 6-8 weeks for the first round. Second, we follow very strict guidelines for print publications- for the 2007 awards, the publication must bear a 2006 copyright date and can not have been previously published. Revised editions, 1st U.S. editions, 1st Eng. Language editions, etc. are not usually eligible. So, in order to consider electronic publications, we'd need to figure out how to apply the guidelines to electronically published materials- especially material published on websites. How does one prove that a discography on a website was published for the 1st time in 2006? Comments welcome. Also, if you had a particular electronic publication in mind that possibly meets the above guidelines, please let us know. Brenda Nelson-Strauss ARSC Awards Committee -----Original Message----- From: Association for Recorded Sound Discussion List [mailto:[log in to unmask]] On Behalf Of Joel Bresler Sent: Thursday, January 18, 2007 4:01 PM To: [log in to unmask] Subject: Nominations for the 2007 ARSC Awards for Excellence Dear friends: I have a question about the awards...has there been any discussion of including web-based research? Either in the same or in new categories? I reckon we ought to be encouraging it, and these or other public awards would be one way. Thanks, Joel Bresler ARSC member At 07:58 PM 1/16/2007, you wrote: >The following message has been posted by the Outreach Committee of the >Association for Recorded Sound Collections (ARSC). If you have any >questions, please click on the link or one of the e-mail addresses below. >Please DO NOT simply hit REPLY or post further messages to this list. > > >--- NOMINATIONS for the 2007 ARSC AWARDS FOR EXCELLENCE --- > >You are invited to propose candidates for the 2007 ARSC Awards for >Excellence in Historical Recorded Sound Research. Nominations may be made by >anyone, ARSC member or not. The deadline for nominations is January 31, >2007. > >Eligible publications include any original printed work -- book, monograph, >article, liner notes, etc. -- first published during 2006. The work may >treat any subject related to recorded sound, but must embody the highest >research standards. It should deal primarily with historical subjects, >pertaining to periods at least ten years prior to the year of publication, >with the exception of works related to modern preservation or playback >technology. Joel Bresler 250 E. Emerson Rd. Lexington, MA 02420 USA 781-862-4104 (Telephone & FAX) [log in to unmask] IN CASE OF VERIZON EMAIL PROBLEMS, PLEASE USE MY BACK-UP EMAIL: joelbresler-at-gmail.com