Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (January 2007)Back to main ARSCLIST pageJoin or leave ARSCLISTReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional fontLog in
Date:         Thu, 18 Jan 2007 11:41:59 -0600
Sender:       Association for Recorded Sound Discussion List
From:         Jeffrey Kane <[log in to unmask]>
Subject:      Re: Soundcard/iTunes phollies

Make that hydrogenaudio.*ORG*! -----Original Message----- From: Association for Recorded Sound Discussion List [mailto:[log in to unmask]] On Behalf Of Dave Nolan Sent: Thursday, January 18, 2007 10:34 AM To: [log in to unmask] Subject: Re: [ARSCLIST] Soundcard/iTunes phollies Eric - Just wondering where you might have heard these "anecdotes" about WMP vs. iTunes? Is there any good resource/online discussion about different MP3 encoding techniques / players / etc... that you've found to have a good "signal-to- noise ratio"? I've done minimal testing comparison of encoders for Mac, and am currently using Peak with LameLib (much better results @ 128kbps stereo on my intel Mac than iTunes)... dave nolan 92nd St. Y NYC >I've not tested this hypothesis to a great extent, but anecdotally it >seems that iTunes is much less efficient at handling VBR encoded MP3s >than Fixed Bit Rate MP3s, whereas WMP seems to handle VBR and FBR MP3s >equally well. > >Anyone else notice similar VBR/FBR difference between iTunes and WMP? > >Eric Jacobs >The Audio Archive >tel: 408.221.2128 >fax: 408.549.9867 >mailto:[log in to unmask] >