Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (January 2007)Back to main ARSCLIST pageJoin or leave ARSCLISTReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional fontLog in
Date:         Tue, 16 Jan 2007 19:28:10 -0500
Sender:       Association for Recorded Sound Discussion List
From:         David Lennick <[log in to unmask]>
Subject:      Re: sticky shed questions

I've had no bad reels of Maxell or TDK, but I haven't had that many of them. And you can be sure that 457 will turn to glue if it hasn't already. I don't even trust the stuff they made later in the 80s when they'd supposedly solved the problem..I have a lot of reels from Drake Chenault that a radio station tossed in the early 90s, and there's no way to tell when it was manufactured. Some was sticky when I got it, some was fine, some that I thought was fine a year ago is beginning to develop SSS. All back-coated Ampex is suspect if it's more than 10 years old, in my opinion. You don't have to bake it unnecessarily though..just run it outside the tape heads in fast forward and run it through your fingers. You'll know soon enough. dl phillip holmes wrote: > Is there any record of TDK Audua LB-1800 suffering from SSS? It's "back > treated", which I assume is the same as "back coated". I don't remember > discussions about that particular tape. I have 25 7" reels of recitals, > air checks and such. > > Also Maxell XLI 35-90B. It's back coated. Just one reel. > > Then three reels of TDK LX35-90B, back coated for sure. > > One reel of Ampex UD150 (says Ultra Dynamic 150--no box). It looks back > coated, but I don't recognize the number as being a SSS culprit. > > Three reels of Ampex Grand Master 457. Am I correct in saying that 457 > is a thinner (for more time) version of 456 and WILL get sticky sooner > or later? > > Thanks very much in advance for any help, > Phillip Holmes >