Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (January 2007)Back to main ARSCLIST pageJoin or leave ARSCLISTReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional fontLog in
Date:         Mon, 15 Jan 2007 21:10:53 -0800
Sender:       Association for Recorded Sound Discussion List
From:         Roger and Allison Kulp <[log in to unmask]>
Subject:      Re: Classical recordings guide

I have not seen the book,but I was under the impression,it only dealt with Lps.I don't recall Canfield ever claiming to be a 78 "expert".The 78 classical market is in a lot of flux now. It will take a while before a real price guide comes out. Roger Kulp "Steven C. Barr(x)" <[log in to unmask]> wrote: ----- Original Message ----- From: "D. Blake Werts" > More accurate information regarding Dave Canfield and his "Guide": > What we need ("We" here meaning myself any any other shellac accumulators with the same obsessive interest in discographic detail...!) is a sort of classical-78 equivalent to Brian Rust's ADBD and JR! Oddly enough, the first 90-95% of such a work would be fairly easy to compile, since only Victor and Columbia recorded and issued classical recordings in any number...and both sets of ledgers still survive. I suspect most of the data for Brunswick still exists as well? Decca did issue some European-sourced classical sides (mainly from Odeon/ Parlophone, iirc)...so there are two problem areas: 1) Early independent labels (Vocalion, plus some smaller ones) who did issue a handful of classical discs, usually early in their history... 2) Any c.1936-c.1953 "indie" labels that issued classical material; i.e. Musicraft (pre-WWII) and possibly a few others... Anybody know of any other significant sources (excluding Edison, for which extensive original data also exists) that I may have omitted?! Steven C. Barr (note that the above refers to 78rpm records, not microgroove records made during the "78 era"...) --------------------------------- It's here! Your new message! Get new email alerts with the free Yahoo! Toolbar.