Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (January 2007)Back to main ARSCLIST pageJoin or leave ARSCLISTReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional fontLog in
Date:         Fri, 12 Jan 2007 12:33:15 -0800
Sender:       Association for Recorded Sound Discussion List
From:         Roger and Allison Kulp <[log in to unmask]>
Subject:      Re: Shostakovich, was Re: [ARSCLIST] early CD bashing

Then perhaps you could tell me what orchestra Leinsdorf recorded with on Musicraft. Roger Kulp "Steven C. Barr(x)" <[log in to unmask]> wrote: ----- Original Message ----- From: "Thomas Stern" > accidentally opened this post and Musicraft caught my eye - perhaps you > are talking of some specific genre..., > Musicraft had a large classical catalog in the late 30's, in addition to > the specialty items (Revuers, Cradle, Leadbelly, Sandburg etc.) > They abandoned classical in the 40's. and turned to jazz and pop - an > impressive and important catalog > I am not particularly informed about the Asch classical material > (would like any info people would care to share). Thanks. > As I recall, Musicraft first appeared in the late nineteen-thirties as (one of?) the first "indie" (i.e. neither ARC or RCA) labels, and specialized in recording material that the "big guys" didn't (either obscure artists, obscure genres or a combination of both...). With the postwar/post-ban rise of "indie" labels by the hundreds, they decided to enter the "mainstream" market (iirc, they got a distribution set-up with GE...). I have, somewhere in my half-vast discographic holdings, a fairly early Musicraft catalogue...if I can dig it out, I'll post the contained info therein... Steven C. Barr --------------------------------- Don't be flakey. Get Yahoo! Mail for Mobile and always stay connected to friends.