Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (January 2007)Back to main ARSCLIST pageJoin or leave ARSCLISTReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional fontLog in
Date:         Thu, 11 Jan 2007 18:42:26 -0500
Sender:       Association for Recorded Sound Discussion List
From:         Tom Fine <[log in to unmask]>
Subject:      Re: Microcassettes

Minicassette came before microcassette. I have my dad's old Norelco/Philips minicassette recorder, and I believe they invented the format. Was the microcassette format from Japan or from Philips? And why did Olympus get so involved in it? BTW, following up on my earlier post, the only brand of microcassette recorders I ever knew were troublesome were -- of course -- Sony. I've used Olympus, Panasonic and Sanyo machines and never had a problem. We had a Sanyo transcriber machine at work but it died long ago. Oh, one more tip for Brenda -- make sure to use fresh batteries or the AC adapter. I find that portable tape machines become prone to eating tapes when low on current. Cassettes, and Microcassettes. -- Tom Fine ----- Original Message ----- From: "Richard L. Hess" <[log in to unmask]> To: <[log in to unmask]> Sent: Thursday, January 11, 2007 1:03 PM Subject: Re: [ARSCLIST] Microcassettes >I have an Olympus T2020 (I think that's the number) that I've never used as I have another method >that I've already discussed with Brenda, but it has two "wells" - one for microcassettes and one >for minicassettes. The minicassette appears to be capstanless and slightly longer than the >microcassette. I believe the minicassette shell was also used by Hewlett Packard for small portable >data tapes (128K on a tape maybe 256 K ) back in the early 1980s. > > Cheers, > > Richard > > At 11:53 AM 2007-01-11, you wrote: >>We have dealt with microcassettes on occasion and use a portable Sears >>(!) machine that came with one collection - as Brenda says, not for >>recording but just for playback when needed, and with a headphone jack >>and a small internal speaker. We did find that there are at least two >>sizes of cassette housing - only very slightly different, but one has an >>additional ridge along one side that prevents it from fitting the >>machine we have. Fortunately, we do not have to deal with this format >>too often and have not sought different equipment. >> >>Sue >> >> >> >>Susan T Stinson, Curator >>Belfer Audio Laboratory and Archive >>Syracuse University Library >>222 Waverly Avenue >>Syracuse, NY 13244-2010 >>315-443-3477 / fax 443-4866 >> >> >> >>> [log in to unmask] 1/11/2007 11:11 AM >>> >>Hi Brenda and ARSC folks, >> >>At HSR we have a Panasonic RR-830 STANDARD audiocassette machine with >>VSC, and I remember when buying it that there was a similar model for >>microcassettes. These models have VSC standard and are stand-alone >>with amp, speaker, and headphone out, handy and small for reviewing. >>I think there may also have been footpedal controls available but am >>not certain. I have no idea about current availability, but there >>could be used units around. >> >>Best wishes, Richard >> >>At 10:46 AM 1/11/2007, you wrote: >> >We've begun to receive some interviews on microcassettes, so I'm >>looking >> >for advice on playback machines. Our immediate goal is to review the >> >material on the microcassettes for content and sound quality and make >>a >> >serviceable reference copy. As far as I can tell, most machines do >>not >> >have an output, other than a headphone jack. We do not foresee using >>the >> >playback machine for either recording or transcribing; however, if >>the >> >transcription machines offer better quality sound and have an output, >> >then perhaps that is what we should consider. >> > >> > >> > >> >Just as an FYI, I've already spoken to Richard Hess about his process >> >for transferring microcassettes, and certainly for long term >> >preservation we will consider other options. But at the moment, we >>just >> >need to be able to evaluate the content. >> > >> > >> > >> >Thanks- >> > >> >Brenda >> > >> > >> > >> >Brenda Nelson-Strauss >> > >> >Head of Collections >> > >> >Archives of African American Music and Culture >> > >> >Indiana University >> > >> >Smith Research Center, Suite 180 >> > >> >Bloomington, IN 47408 >> > >> >812-855-7530 >> > >> >[log in to unmask] >> > >> >www.indiana.edu/~aaamc >> > >> >www.blackgrooves.org >> > >> > >> > >> > > > Richard L. Hess email: [log in to unmask] > Aurora, Ontario, Canada (905) 713 6733 1-877-TAPE-FIX > Detailed contact information: http://www.richardhess.com/tape/contact.htm > Quality tape transfers -- even from hard-to-play tapes.