Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (January 2007)Back to main ARSCLIST pageJoin or leave ARSCLISTReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional fontLog in
Date:         Thu, 11 Jan 2007 18:39:03 -0500
Sender:       Association for Recorded Sound Discussion List
From:         Tom Fine <[log in to unmask]>
Subject:      Re: Microcassettes

Hi Brenda: A typical Microcassette recorder/player can be connected right up to your monitoring system thru the headphone jack. It'll easily drive a line input. I'd knock out all the record-protect tabs before doing this, just to make sure no one accidently throws the machine into record. I've done a fair number of microcassettes here and I just use one of two Olympus battery-op machines, both of which have speed adjust (although I usually prefer to do speed-correction in the computer if it's needed). Most microcassettes are just spoken word and I'm happy to EQ it for audibility if the client so desires. Neither of these machines have ever eaten a tape, and one of them has been used extensively since 1988. -- Tom Fine ----- Original Message ----- From: "Nelson-Strauss, Brenda" <[log in to unmask]> To: <[log in to unmask]> Sent: Thursday, January 11, 2007 10:46 AM Subject: [ARSCLIST] Microcassettes We've begun to receive some interviews on microcassettes, so I'm looking for advice on playback machines. Our immediate goal is to review the material on the microcassettes for content and sound quality and make a serviceable reference copy. As far as I can tell, most machines do not have an output, other than a headphone jack. We do not foresee using the playback machine for either recording or transcribing; however, if the transcription machines offer better quality sound and have an output, then perhaps that is what we should consider. Just as an FYI, I've already spoken to Richard Hess about his process for transferring microcassettes, and certainly for long term preservation we will consider other options. But at the moment, we just need to be able to evaluate the content. Thanks- Brenda Brenda Nelson-Strauss Head of Collections Archives of African American Music and Culture Indiana University Smith Research Center, Suite 180 Bloomington, IN 47408 812-855-7530 bnelsons@indiana.edu [log in to unmask] www.indiana.edu/~aaamc www.blackgrooves.org