Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (January 2007)Back to main ARSCLIST pageJoin or leave ARSCLISTReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional fontLog in
Date:         Thu, 11 Jan 2007 09:37:43 -0800
Sender:       Association for Recorded Sound Discussion List
From:         Roger and Allison Kulp <[log in to unmask]>
Subject:      Re: Shostakovich, was Re: [ARSCLIST] early CD bashing

Was this done with The Cleveland Orchestra? The one I have is done with The New York Philharmonic,from an LP,which dates from around 1954. This is another sorry case,of an outstanding performance botched up by Coulmbia.The Toscanini has its own special charm.I understand there is a CD or two out there ,mastered directly off of the 78s,which is what I would recommend.Rodzinski was never done justice by Columbia,which is why his best stuff was mostly done for Westminster.I would love to get my hands on his 1947 Mendelssohn "Scottish",done with The CSO.I believe there is one of those incredible red vinyl 78 sets of this,but i have never seen it.It could well be,as I have a few holes in my collection of these,but I have never seen it listed anywhere.I have seven,they issued more.They are among the best of the pre-Shaded Dog RCAs.Barring that,I would settle for the 1951 Lp.I saw two copies of this,in 1990,when i first started collecting classical.Both were trashed.I have not seen one since. Roger Kulp David Lennick <[log in to unmask]> wrote: Probably because he played it too slow. The crappy off-speed 1967 reissue didn't help. I'd love to get hold of the Rodzinski broadcast but a collector in Japan won it a few years ago..doesn't have a record player, wasn't interested in selling or renting it or having it transferred.. dl Roger and Allison Kulp wrote: > The Toscanini is eleven records. > > David Lennick wrote: Only 8 discs, actually. Or 2 LPs (on Allegro, with some parts being alternate > takes). > > dl > > phillip holmes wrote: >> Isn't that like two stories high of 78s? >>> Hey, I like the Shostakovich 7th. Especially Steinberg's performance >>> (yup, on Musicrap 78s). >>> >>> dl > > > __________________________________________________ > Do You Yahoo!? > Tired of spam? Yahoo! Mail has the best spam protection around > http://mail.yahoo.com > > --------------------------------- Everyone is raving about the all-new Yahoo! Mail beta.