Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (January 2007)Back to main ARSCLIST pageJoin or leave ARSCLISTReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional fontLog in
Date:         Tue, 9 Jan 2007 18:37:48 -0600
Sender:       Association for Recorded Sound Discussion List
From:         phillip holmes <[log in to unmask]>
Subject:      Re: early CD bashing

That just goes to prove it was a mastering EQ decision that ruined many discs. The 6 eye and 2 eye stuff was good vinyl, pressed and plated well. There are a few of the 6 eye records that are very good, but those got by the inspection process without setting off the alarms. David Lennick wrote: > Not surprising..in the 70s when I programmed classical radio, > Columbias were pretty near the final choices (aside from my being > bored to death by most Ormandy performances and wondering when > Bernstein was going to stop being such a freaking showoff). Their eq > was definitely weird and usually earsplitting. Two pressings of the > same disc could sound vastly different. I opened the US sample of > Berman playing the Rachmaninoff 3rd Concerto and was knocked out. The > Canadian pressing had no life to it. (And at the time the Canadian > pressings were far superior..the US pressings were always accompanied > by little bits of plastic shavings which scratched the discs before > you ever played them.) > > dl > > phillip holmes wrote: >> Yes, recent CD transfers (done by Sony, right?) and the original >> 7.5ips tapes were very good. Yes, they had limitations, but they >> didn't have the weird EQ that the LPs had. >> Phillip >> >> Don Cox wrote: >>> On 08/01/07, phillip holmes wrote: >>> >>>> I snatch up Columbia promo copies whenever I see them. The classical >>>> promo copies are especially good, compared to the regular issues, even >>>> though the Columbia classical sound doesn't measure up to RCA, >>>> Mercury, EMI and Decca standards--mostly because of EQ decisions >>>> made--house sound?--the tapes and CD reissues sound much better than >>>> the LPs. >>> >>> That has been my experience with Columbia LPs, especially if you mean >>> recent CD transfers. >>> >>> >> > > >