Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (January 2007)Back to main ARSCLIST pageJoin or leave ARSCLISTReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional fontLog in
Date:         Mon, 8 Jan 2007 16:46:58 +0000
Sender:       Association for Recorded Sound Discussion List
From:         Don Cox <[log in to unmask]>
Subject:      Re: early CD bashing
Comments: To: Association for Recorded Sound Discussi <[log in to unmask]>

On 08/01/07, phillip holmes wrote: > I snatch up Columbia promo copies whenever I see them. The classical > promo copies are especially good, compared to the regular issues, even > though the Columbia classical sound doesn't measure up to RCA, > Mercury, EMI and Decca standards--mostly because of EQ decisions > made--house sound?--the tapes and CD reissues sound much better than > the LPs. That has been my experience with Columbia LPs, especially if you mean recent CD transfers. > The cream of the crop, IMO, of classical records, produced > domestically, are the Mercury Living Presence radio promo copies. > Outstanding in every way. Recorded by some guy named Bob Fine, > mastered by Piros, pressed at the RCA Indianapolis plant from the > first master/mother/stampers. First rate! > Phillip Regards -- Don Cox [log in to unmask]