Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (January 2007)Back to main ARSCLIST pageJoin or leave ARSCLISTReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional fontLog in
Date:         Mon, 8 Jan 2007 20:40:13 -0500
Sender:       Association for Recorded Sound Discussion List
From:         "Steven C. Barr(x)" <[log in to unmask]>
Subject:      Re: Digital in a post-digital universe--was: Interesting WSJ
              Article on when libraries should discard their holdings

----- Original Message ----- From: "Karl Miller" <[log in to unmask]> > I wonder, do you suppose some future generation might try to reconstruct the noise we removed when we restored some audio? > > Brave new world here we come...I wonder if I am beginning to sound like my father... > Well...we have no actual basis for assuming that ALL living beings (including extra-planetary ones) will, or even CAN CONSIDER, using sonic vibrations as an important means of communication! Or, for that matter, if they DO that they use the same band of frequencies we do! It is entirely possible that Ecru communicates with other felines using "supersonic" frequencies; it is also possible that the intelligent species of the planet Bfltsplk communicate using light waves or other electromagnetic phenomena, and as such would have NO concept of "hearing!" Further, there may be other sorts of processes that are used for communication that are so foreign to our comprehension that they would never occur to us as being possible...! One of my favourite quotes (don't recall from whom)... "The universe is not only stranger than we imagine...it is stranger than we CAN imagine!" Steven C. Barr