Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (January 2007)Back to main ARSCLIST pageJoin or leave ARSCLISTReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional fontLog in
Date:         Sun, 7 Jan 2007 19:48:17 -0500
Sender:       Association for Recorded Sound Discussion List
From:         "Steven C. Barr(x)" <[log in to unmask]>
Subject:      Re: Digital in a post-digital universe--was: Interesting WSJ
              Article on when libraries should discard their holdings.

----- Original Message ----- From: "Tom Fine" <[log in to unmask]> > This is really well said. I agree. We will not devolve into a Dark Ages again, it's not > technologically possible. It'll be nuclear wipeout or cosmic disaster or some other rapid meltdown > that will render human civilization kaput. > > Hmm, this gets me thinking about those drooly aliens on "The Simpsons"! > Well, there always exists the possibility of a "NEAR-disaster"...which either leaves a handful of humans surviving in some remote place (note that in this scenario the amount of technology that survives for any length of time will depend on the level of knowledge among those survivors...) or the survival of some hardier life form which could in theory evolve into a now-unknown form of intelligent life (i.e. my "radioactive cockroaches...?) and thus try to use and/or undferstand the artifacts the late and unlamented Homo Sapiens left behind in the rush of their departure... There are any number of science fiction works which rely on these scenariii... Steven C. Barr