Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (January 2007)Back to main ARSCLIST pageJoin or leave ARSCLISTReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional fontLog in
Date:         Sat, 6 Jan 2007 22:06:10 -0600
Sender:       Association for Recorded Sound Discussion List
From:         Scott Phillips <[log in to unmask]>
Subject:      Re: Digital in a post-digital universe--was: Interesting WSJ
              Article on when libraries should discard their holdings.

Cindered planet means the 78's are nothing but ash anyway. Jokingly, your argument only works before the time man had the ability to destroy itself in a few microseconds. A meteoroid or comet would toast every thing on only one side of the planet, just killing all the living beings on that side. J/K. It is all a very circular argument, isn't it...? <grin> I'm thinking that all the regressions in human history were because of geopolitical reasons, and relied mostly on the fact that only a select few of the people/countries/regions possessed the technology that died. In today's environment, I wonder if that is still applicable... -----Original Message----- From: Association for Recorded Sound Discussion List [mailto:[log in to unmask]] On Behalf Of Steven C. Barr(x) Sent: Saturday, January 06, 2007 9:36 PM To: [log in to unmask] Subject: [ARSCLIST] Digital in a post-digital universe--was: Interesting WSJ Article on when libraries should discard their holdings. ----- Original Message ----- From: "Tom Fine" <[log in to unmask]> > Don, this makes no sense. An occurance that would decimate every copy > of every digital data would > definitely destroy all other matter, too. Books and records burn > faster than computers, last I > checked. > Oddly enough...not QUITE true! Digital devices are electrical by nature, and thus subject to electromagnetic impulses...so, IF digital non-magnetic storage survived, we'd be left with a whole bunch of unreadable objects (shades of Etruscan tablets?) until the survivors could not only reconstruct digital computers but figure out the data formats used! Whereas, any old 78 that didn't get burnt or melted needs only a simple (quite possibly, accidental) process to establish that it contains (sonic) data. Run a fingernail, claw, talon, wothaveya, along a groove...and vibrations are created. We're only in trouble if the species that rediscovers our cindered planet has NO concept of "sound!" Steven C. Barr